Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two din

Dear Panthers,
    Has anyone installed a two din receiver in a single din car?

Donald McCaig
    1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

i know of guys who have installed the double din in later aeros. its a pain and requires moving or modifying the vents under the dash pad for clearance.....
    what are you looking to do?
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
    1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
    http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

Right below the radio in an 89 is the climate controls, above I think live a couple of vents. There might just be enough room to do it, but I dunno. A din and a half (1.5 DIN) might be more feasable.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

definitely wouldnt work in a 90-91 unless you switched places with the hvac controls and stereo, and then cut out the clock above it
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Dear Panthers,
          Thanks. Just a notion. Donald
          1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

I think it might actually work if you removed the mounting plate between the climate controls and the radio and modified the front bezel from the top of the climate controls to just shy of the top edge. definitely require lots of fab for a bracket to hold everything. Measurements would definitely need to be taken. I have seen some done, but they were massive custom installs that re-did that whole section of the dash from the vents down.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

alpine had their "phantom face" head units with 1.5 "dins" in a single din slot. They're not expensive 2nd hand, and for all I know a half dozen other manufacturers may offer a similar product. I haven't actually researched; just inherited an older radio from my father and installed it.

Comment

Working...
              X