Interior upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior upgrade

So I thought my single tone light grey door panels were a bit on the boring side on the 99 GM.

I'd been looking in junkyards for the past year or so for a complete set of 2 tone grey door panels from a mid 90s GM to swap in for a bit more pazaze. I finally found a set in Ontario, and shipped them to Nova Scotia. After a bit of modification on the rear ones (wood inserts were fused in instead of screwed), I got the job done, and I must say I think it's a big improvement. The darker grey matches the origional dash colour, so there's some continuity to it all.

I also got an extra set of trim pieces around the window switches hydro dipped in a similar wood grain pattern to the rest of the interior. The pattern and colour isn't exact, but not bad. If I have the money, I may have all the wood pieces dipped to match. But realistically, that won't happen.

Another project I did a while ago was swap out the flat black shifter, tilt adjustment and windshield wiper switch with crome ones. The shifter and wiper switch came from a pre 99 Crown Vic or Grand Marquis, and the tilt lever came from an early 90s Town Car.

Future projects are replacing the horn button with one from an 04 with the coloured Mercury symbol (as opposed to the embossed one on my car), and maybe new two tone seats. (They're bloody expensive to get done though. Like $1500). Also, custom luxury floor mats are probably in the future somewhere.

Anyway, for your viewing pleasure. My camera battery is dead, so I'll add pictures of the wood trim and chrome shifter soon.
    sigpic

Looks good, like it should have been from the factory.

Whats this about having panels wooded with some process? Could you elaborate on that? I'm in a fruitless search for matching woodgrain for my dashboard. I can find all I want in the wrong style. If I could have a set of the wrong stuff redone to the right pattern I may be interested.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The "wood" process is called hydro dipping, or hydro graphics. First, your part is primed and painted with a base coat. Then, there is a tank of water with a solvant in it. The pattern is a piece of vinyl plastic with disolving backing. When it is put on the water, the backing dissolves and then the part you're getting dipped is dunked in, and the pattern sticks to it. They then spray a clear coat over it, and you have a custom piece. There are a lot of patterns, wood grains, carbon fiber, metal, camoflague etc...

It's a cool process, but pretty pricey. If you type hyrdo dipping or hydro graphics into google, you'll find a few places that do small order custom work. The place I used was called "justdipit" in Nova Scotia, but there are more places in the States.
      sigpic

Comment

Cool mang.
        I have seen the process of hydrodipping on motorcycle fenders before.....I believe hunting guns and stuff are dipped as well. Way cool stuff.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Oh yea, if you can afford it, the possibilities are pretty much endless
          sigpic

Comment

I was working with a 2000 BMW, with the same scheme door panels. I really do like that look for the newer cars.

Comment

Much neatoness.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
              X