Mark VI Headliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark VI Headliner

I installed my headliner this weekend. I took a few pics, but I was trying to hurry up & get it done so I only took a few. Also here's a pic of the radio installed. Eventually I'm putting a double din Pioneer Navigation radio, thats why I used this one I had hanging around my shop for now. It's kind of tacky, But it works.
    Attached Files
    1980 Lincoln Mark VI - Now With New & Improved 4.6L Modular Power!

Oh yeah. I also changed both the door catches. The plastic was missing on both of them. The doors sound like showroom fresh when the open & close now.

Comment

I meant "when they're opened & closed now". (tryin' to hurry b4 work)

Comment

Nice work with the headliner. Did you recover it yourself? What sorta material is on it? How did the interior panels fight you during removal? It looks nice.
        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 05-04-2011, 10:50 AM.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looks nice! I've done a wagon headliner before, but the sedan C-pillar trim kind of scares me.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Nice work with the headliner. Did you recover it yourself? What sorta material is on it? How did the interior panels fight you during removal? It looks nice.
            Thanks Alot. I did it myself, I got the material from a place online called "Automotive Interiors & Accessories, Inc." www.automotiveinteriors.com . They have pretty much everything to do over your interior & they're shipping is fast as well. The material is a synthetic suede, but you could barely tell the difference. I've used real suede in the past & it was too heavy & fell down. I also did the rear shelf to match. I'm going to send the sun vizors out to get done with the material I have left. The interior panels all came out fine except the lower rear window moulding, it's so dried out it just kept breaking in pieces. If I cant get one I'll have to try to glue it back together. Also the rear window & windshield glue was stuck all over the mouldings...what a mess!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              Looks nice! I've done a wagon headliner before, but the sedan C-pillar trim kind of scares me.
              Wow! The wagon headliner is sooo long. You gotta make sure it sticks to the backing good or it'll droop. The longest one I've ever done was my 88 Bronco II.

Comment

what was it like taking the liner out from the car? i could imagine it was tight. i need to do the one in my lincoln. i know it was easy to do this to my 81 marquis, since i had no glass in the car

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Looks great , What kind of glue did you use ?
                  sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

permatex upholstery spray glue is good shit. comes in a white and orange can.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

It is not as bad as it seems. Remove everything retaining the headliner from the car and tilt the seats back and open the doors and pull the headliner out of the passengers side door.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by N14ParkwayRacer View Post
                        Wow! The wagon headliner is sooo long. You gotta make sure it sticks to the backing good or it'll droop. The longest one I've ever done was my 88 Bronco II.
                        If you didn't know, it's in two pieces, so it's really just two different pieces the size of a normal roof. I has no skillz with gluing, though, so it took a couple of goes to make it all stick. The tailgate opening does make the actual fishing-it-out fairly easy.

I just bought my headliner fabric at Jo-Ann's. Looks like your source has a lot more colors available!
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

nice work!

Tacky is good on these cars. IMO. these things are ridiculous by modern standards, especially the lincolns. trying to look "cool" in a modern sense doesn't work, just embrace the 80s tacky goodness.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                            what was it like taking the liner out from the car? i could imagine it was tight. i need to do the one in my lincoln. i know it was easy to do this to my 81 marquis, since i had no glass in the car
                            That's why I took the seats out. The last time I did one without taking them out it was so tight the head liner ended up peeling back off & the backing got bent up pretty good. This way you can drop it straight down & turn it to get it out. Plus you don't get the old orange foam backing(dust)all over the seats.

Comment

Originally posted by hypostang View Post
                              Looks great , What kind of glue did you use ?
                              I always use the glue from the place I get the material from. It works good every time. I tried to use 3M interior adhesive one time and the headliner stayed up for about a month then started to fall.

Comment

Working...
                              X