Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passenger Seat Motor Rebuild - Seat Track Extenders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passenger Seat Motor Rebuild - Seat Track Extenders.

I was tired of not being able to move my passenger seat, so I decided to take apart the motor & clean all the rust out. Here are some pictures of the procedure.
    Attached Files
    1980 Lincoln Mark VI - Now With New & Improved 4.6L Modular Power!

Working good now ?
    sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Yes. It's nice to have the two seats lined up even. My computer locked up for some reason? Here's some more pics. The first five pics loaded backwards?
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's the extension brackets I made. We work on postal LLV's at my job, so I used pieces of two old usps seat tracks. It feels so much better with more room in the car. I'm six foot one & I need leg room.
        Attached Files

Comment

I never knew anyone had ever bothered to do this!

Hang on, though - what's this about adapting parts of other seat tracks?

Edit: Oh wait, I think I see. Is the seat still adequately supported doing that? Seems the adaptey bars would tend to flex a good deal, possibly even to the point of being unsafe.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The new tracks are there only to be longer than stock, not necessary for the repair?

What exactly caused the motors to seize? ...just rusted in place? How were the brushes, did you need to replace them?

Given everything that has needed attention in my 20yr old box, it's only a matter of time before I end up trying this myself

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              I never knew anyone had ever bothered to do this!

Hang on, though - what's this about adapting parts of other seat tracks?

Edit: Oh wait, I think I see. Is the seat still adequately supported doing that? Seems the adaptey bars would tend to flex a good deal, possibly even to the point of being unsafe.
              I used to rebuild my own starters & alternators. I rebuilt the starter for my 56 Mark II. It doesn't cost anything to clean the motor. The bars just move the seats further back for more room. They're thick enough to be safe. I did the same thing in my Honda Civic & I used to race that.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                The new tracks are there only to be longer than stock, not necessary for the repair?

What exactly caused the motors to seize? ...just rusted in place? How were the brushes, did you need to replace them?

Given everything that has needed attention in my 20yr old box, it's only a matter of time before I end up trying this myself
                Correct, the track extensions have nothing to do with the seized motor. I just hated my knees being against the dashboard.

Even though the previous owner was a priest & he swears it didn't happen, I think the car was flooded at one time. There's alot of surface rust on the bare metal under the dash & when I first got it the carpets had a stiff feeling to them. I should have put more pics of the motor rebuild but my hands were too dirty & once you start putting it back together you can't stop or the magnets will make the armatures pop out of the brushes & you'll have to start all over. If you need help in the future don't be afraid to ask.

Comment

Nice work. This may be something I will have to do on my passengers side motor as it moves much slower than my drivers side.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

ah, a priest who swears, that should make you suspicious right there! ;-)

so the motors were just choking on dirt and grime?

Comment

Dimensions Please

Originally posted by N14ParkwayRacer View Post
                      Here's the extension brackets I made. We work on postal LLV's at my job, so I used pieces of two old usps seat tracks. It feels so much better with more room in the car. I'm six foot one & I need leg room.
                      Can you please let me know what the dimensions are of the brackets you made? I have an 88 Town Car and I would like to move the drivers seat back. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X