Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer Issues!

Well, heres the problem

I pulled the speedo cable to drop some oil down it, because it had a slight shudder from 0 to 25 ish MPH.

After I did this, and re hooked it, It now flies all over the place. like 0-25-35-15 its nuts.

Any ideas to what I messued up

George
    1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

The cable could be dead. Mine does that, it's the cable. I'm gonna get a new one. They're like 30 bucks from ford. Just watch out how the cable itself is routed. The user Brown_Muscle got a new one and it ended up lubricating the speedometer and the floor with transmission fluid.

Comment

Ouch, gonna have to watch that!

Any ideas if maybe, just maybe the way I routed it under the dash into the speedo itself could be an issue, like the way it bends? Maybe?

Also any part numbers?

Comment

they're like $18, or less, from rock auto. (where I got the one for my Mark)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

word, rockauto will have them for not much money.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Gotcha.

Ordered one from Rock. 12 Bucks. Doorman part, I've had good luck with them.

Thanks y'all!

I really hope this is the problem, but it pretty much hs to be.

Wierd that it would decide to piss its pants when I pull it to lube it.

George

Comment

the cable itself gets frayed and does all sorts of weird things. the more frayed, the more crazy, and taking it out to lube it may have made it worse. Supposedly the inside of the casing also gets knicked and frayed too.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
              X