Extremely bad leak, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extremely bad leak, please help

So I used to get water on the back passengerside floor of the car for the longest time when it sat out in the street. Now that I'm parking the car in the driveway, the back is dry but now the front passenger floor panel is FILLED with water. I'm talking like a whole inch or two. Last time it rained I thought it was from built up leaves under the hood so I cleared everything out of the drain runoffs and shopvac'ed everything. Well the car stayed damp for an entire week so I'm assuming more water was still dripping in slowly since it never even got close to dry. Now today it rained again and there is a huge puddle again. Anyone have any idea where this is coming from? No signs of drips everywhere and I've checked all the door seals?

I have the exact same problem and haven't been able to find a solution. I thought puffing out the weather stripping (aka: pulling the weather stripping out, bending the channels up with vice grips, and reinstalling) worked but it did not. I tried adjusting the lock strikers to no avail.

On mine it comes down behind the seatbelt panel and leaks onto either the front or rear floorboard depending on what kind of an angle it's parked at.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

what car are we dealing with? Year? bodystyle? vinyl top?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Check the firewall? IIRC, there's a rubber stopper or two somewhere along there. I'm sure there's a few mangs on here that know more about this subject.
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Pull all the trim out of the inside of the car, and get in it, and have a buddy flood the car with the garden hose... moving slowly around the car, until you find the leak. Mine was leaking from a small rust out in the upper rear corner of the back door jamb, under the chrome trim. I didn't even know it was there until I took it off to paint the car.... So we fixed that, too... no more leak into the back floor board... take all your chrome trim off, too... Also, have you checked the doors? They will get the weep holes filled with crud, and fill the doors up, until it "spills over" and runs into the car... I slammed my front passenger door one day, and it sounded like a boat sinking.. the drain holes had clogged up with trash... it had just spilled over into the car... (It finds an opening, like your speaker opening, and will start "spilling over" at that point) The rubber floor had a small puddle in it... I swear about 8 gallons of water came out of the doors when I opend the drain holes back up... I now check them often...
          Last edited by trwp72; 07-03-2011, 10:13 PM.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
          Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

the drain is clogged. where the water drains under the hood by the firewall. clogged up with leaves and shit. been there done that. Could also be windshield seal.
            Last edited by 86VickyLX; 07-03-2011, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Okay so thanks for the responses guys, this is what I have found so far. It's coming down the firewall and under the carpet in the front. The back leak I'm sure isn't related but it's not the one giving me problems right now so I'll look into that later. The drain was clogged last time this happened but I cleaned it out and it still flooded again. I tried checking all the seals and weather stripping and even got in there to look for the leak but it's so up high under the dash I can barely tell. I guess I'll go over it again tomorrow once it stops raining and let ya'll know what I find. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

leak

Have you checked the heater blower motor seal on the firewall? I have found leaks there. I have just found two leaks on my 90 Crown. The antenna grommet at the side of the cowl and a leak at the flexible tube going from the door to side of cowl.(where the wires from the door go into the car) Good luck !

Comment

there is also a rubber grommet type deal underneath the plastic wheel fender id check that too
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                  X