Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really Angry Car!?

My car is very, very angry it seems.

It managed to blow a fuse sometime yesterday, and I replaced it this morning. Within 20 minutes of driving the vehicle, the same fuse blew again.

It's the fuse that controls the fuel lamp, engine lamp and "fasten belts" lamp.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's causing the fuse to blow repeatedly like this?

Thanks for your time.

Originally posted by Mike_O View Post
    My car is very, very angry it seems.

It managed to blow a fuse sometime yesterday, and I replaced it this morning. Within 20 minutes of driving the vehicle, the same fuse blew again.

It's the fuse that controls the fuel lamp, engine lamp and "fasten belts" lamp.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's causing the fuse to blow repeatedly like this?

Thanks for your time.
    There's a wire for the low oil light BS, that is with the 2G alternator wiring. If it got grounded, it will blow the fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      There's a wire for the low oil light BS, that is with the 2G alternator wiring. If it got grounded, it will blow the fuse.
      Does this wire change depending on the car?

Comment

Does this wire change depending on the car?
        First off what car are we talking? It would be nice to know what we're dealing with.

Comment

It is a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 5.8L.

It's also silver.

Comment

well, silver cars have different electrical requirements you know.

j/k.

does it have the check oil lamp? if so, you may want to make sure that the wires for it haven't rubbed through. its down on the driver's side of the oil pan and runs up the side of the motor near the oil filter. They often get damaged around the motor mount, though usually if they short out the check oil lamp will come on at odd times. That wire switches to ground in order to make the light come on, so a short shouldn't cause any particular problems. I'd actually be more inclined to suspect theres a problem in the seatbelt switch wiring since that runs under the carpet. Not 100% sure if thats a hot wire or another switched ground setup though.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No, the oil lamp is....blank?

This is the idiot light setup on the dash:

WIPERS.......FUEL
              ENGINE........FASTEN BELTS
              [BLANK].......AMP

Normally, the Fuel, Engine, Fasten Belts and Amp lamp light up for a few seconds when turning the engine over. But with this fuse dead, just the AMP light comes on.

I'm told that the low oil pressure thinger is wired to the Engine lamp.

Comment

I suspect this is going to be difficult to diagnose/fix.

Comment

It is a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 5.8L.

It's also silver.
                  5.8? The hell? You in Canada or something?

Comment

ok... I had that fuse popping on me too. Do you use the parking brake and NOT have cornering lights (yes, this is relevant - it's the same circuit). If this is the case (I don't have cornering lights... aka ditch lights) the connections are hanging with that POS electrical tape above the e-brake pedal. If the tape gets loose, you'll pop that fuse when you use the e-brake because the lever will crush one of the connectors. I put the connectors up closer to the fuse box in mine after taping up the busted one.

Check those things and see if they're f'd up like mine was.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      5.8? The hell? You in Canada or something?
                      Amazing, isn't it, that a non-American would own one of these cars.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                        ok... I had that fuse popping on me too. Do you use the parking brake and NOT have cornering lights (yes, this is relevant - it's the same circuit). If this is the case (I don't have cornering lights... aka ditch lights) the connections are hanging with that POS electrical tape above the e-brake pedal. If the tape gets loose, you'll pop that fuse when you use the e-brake because the lever will crush one of the connectors. I put the connectors up closer to the fuse box in mine after taping up the busted one.

Check those things and see if they're f'd up like mine was.
                        I'm not sure what cornering lights are.

I never use the E-brake.

Comment

cornering lights are the small lights on the lower parts of the front fender between the bumper and the front wheel. They come on when you turn the turn signal on.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

and there's a "hot in run" wire in that bloody harness. I think it's the same circuit that powers the fuel gauge and idiot lights.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Amazing, isn't it, that a non-American would own one of these cars.
                              Don't be an ass lol. The cornering lights are not on the same fuse as the warning indicators. If they are then my cars wired wrong or something. Because in accessory, the cornering lights will work with the hazards. If they were on the same circuit, the indicators would also come on.

Comment

Working...
                              X