Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trim panel directly above pedals?

Hi--

I had long since removed the trim panel that fits over the gas and brake pedal, under the steering shaft, frames the right side of the fuse box.
    Because it was falling down, and would rest on top of the brake pedal: not a safe situation.

Today I bought fresh trim retainers and was looking to reinstall it.
    I can't figure out how to make it work, though. All 3 (or 4?) holes for the retainers, are in the front. Nothing that I can see, keeps it from falling down in the back, resting always on the brake pedal.

What am I missing?

thanks!
    -Bernard

sounds like you got a floppy one, it probably got damp.......glue some thick cardboard to the back side of the panel

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Two big plastic Phillips type nuts hold the back of that cardboard panel to the steering shaft supports. It it still flops do what Scott said.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

hmm... I'll have to look for the nuts (and where they would have gone).
        This is a 1990 btw-- different dash. There's no cardboard, it's all plastic.
        Not to say that some rigid reinforcement won't do good though.

Well, no, it's pretty rigid; it's the fact that it's only secured in the front that's a problem. Know how a '90 is secured in the back? I'm not seeing any holes through which any bolts might go.

Comment

There should be two holes that line up with studs sticking out of the bottom of the column, though I may be wrong on that. I haven't spent much time under the later dash boxes.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ahh newer model car. cannot help you there.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

there should be a metal clip (rather large) up near the ECM that the back of the panel slides into to support the rear.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

OK, thanks!
                I'll look for it.
                If I don't have it, I'll hit up my friendly forum parts guys
                It's entirely possible that I lost it, when I did the ECM swap, when I had the dash out a year and a half ago, whenever.

Comment

Working...
                X