Headliner in 89 TC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headliner in 89 TC

The headliner in my Town Car has already started to fall down in the back. It doesn't bother me too much but it brushes against people's heads if they sit in the back seat. Right now I have two pins holding it up, but I know it won't last that way forever. How much am I looking at for a replacement? I don't know whether I should bite the bullet and take it to an upholstery shop or attempt it myself. Last time I removed the headliner I couldn't get it out of the car, even after removing the front seats. Is there some secret to doing this that I don't know about?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

muwahahahah headliners are my specialty actually ,when their fualty bring them to me....uh sorry little bit of ryming going on there, at anywhoooo it not too bad you just lay the seats flat an and youll be takign out the drivers , basically you kinda fold it in half, but not too much as it will break kinda like a u shape and you very gently bring it out it is flexiable and it takes some patients to do, when you do get it out all you do is take the original healiner off and brush it down with a brush, the foam gets everywhere to be prepared to have a vacumn handy, then you go get material of yoru choice and some orange can permatex adhesive,(make sur eyou have plenty of ventilation) spray in a s or figure 8 pattren dont soak it too much as depednding on material it will soak through and look all kinds of funky and then fold fabric half( do one side and then the other when spraying glue) lay it down and make sure it dont have any wrinkles use a roller to flatten out material and then proceed to do the other side,(trim excess and do light hole) installation is same as removal but in reverse. ill have to make a vid on how to do this this year, as i will be redoing my headliner as well.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Just like Zoomie said. Just take your time, remove the inside trim and center light carefully as not to break it. I use the 3M super heavy duty adhesive spray. I also don't trim the new fabric even with the cardboard. Cut about 2-3 inches extra to roll it around all the sides. Of course, glue the roll over I found the sunroof models to be a PITA. You can buy the material at most upholstery supply stores or upholstery shops. Buy extra to do the visors. (That is another lesson) For me when laying out the fabric, I have an extra person to help.

Comment

Good advice. I used the 3M stuff on GMGTs headliner. Good stuff. But, its a one shot deal. A clean, flat shop floor or large bench is best. Also, be careful and dont press down hard when putting the new material, when setting it on the liner shell. You can leave hand prints lol. Light massaging does the trick.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
        X