Changing Seat Cover Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Seat Cover Advice?

Has anyone ever swapped a seat cover on their front seats? I have a 94 Lincoln Town Car but the seat design is very much the same as box panthers. I'm planning on finding a replacement for my driver side and was wondering how difficult a process it is and what's really involved?

From what I can tell the back-portion should slide off once the arm rest and headrest has been removed and the back-of-seat "plate" has been pulled to access the fasteners? Pic: http://www.cardomain.com/ridepost/14...grand-marquis/

I assume it would be easier dealing with the bottom section if the seat is removed from the tracks and out of the car? There's just 4 bolts holding the seat to the tracks I think and I should be able to get to them without removing the tracks from the floor - I think. I don't want to try removing the tracks from the floor as those bolts will probably spin-out and then I'm F-ed.

Any advice?
    1994 Lincoln Town Car

it would probably be easier all around to remove the seat from the car. Not sure there's enough movement front to back to totally clear the armrest for removal... but I could be mistaken. You are pretty much correct about the removal process. Just know that you may need to replace/add foam as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      it would probably be easier all around to remove the seat from the car. Not sure there's enough movement front to back to totally clear the armrest for removal... but I could be mistaken. You are pretty much correct about the removal process. Just know that you may need to replace/add foam as well.
      The foam seems as thick and firm as it was when brand new. Still very comfortable and supportive. It's just the leather that's taken a beating from the slide in and slide out. I'd rather have cloth any day.
      1994 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

I have changed seat covers on several cars. I take both the seats and tracks out of the car. On snow belt cars it may be better to leave the tracks in.
        Detach the top from the bottom. Unscrew the armrest from the side. Many of the sections have the plastic clip that attaches to the seat frame.
        You will find a few or many hog rings to take off and remove. You may also find wires that attaches the cushion to the cover. Having the proper hog ring pliers helps a bunch. Build up the seat cushion if needed. Replace the wire mesh below the cushion if it is broken. You can get mesh at upholstery supply stores. Clean new cloth covers before re installation. ( I have put them in the washing machine, cold water.) You may or may not want to do the cleaning that way. You should have minimal problems if you take your time. Every job I did turned out well. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
          I have changed seat covers on several cars. I take both the seats and tracks out of the car. On snow belt cars it may be better to leave the tracks in.
          Detach the top from the bottom. Unscrew the armrest from the side. Many of the sections have the plastic clip that attaches to the seat frame.
          You will find a few or many hog rings to take off and remove. You may also find wires that attaches the cushion to the cover. Having the proper hog ring pliers helps a bunch. Build up the seat cushion if needed. Replace the wire mesh below the cushion if it is broken. You can get mesh at upholstery supply stores. Clean new cloth covers before re installation. ( I have put them in the washing machine, cold water.) You may or may not want to do the cleaning that way. You should have minimal problems if you take your time. Every job I did turned out well. Good luck
          What cars have you changed the covers on, were they Grand Marquis/Crown Victorias?
          1994 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

All were Ford, Lincoln or Mercurys in a variety of years. Soon I will be doing my Subaru Outback which has 14 pieces. I have a new genuine Subaru cover set for it.

Comment

Be prepared for a LOT of wrestling. Don't stop until you're 100% happy with it. You may find that bolting the seat assembly to the ground or something else that won't move is helpful. I haven't done them on a panther chassis but that's how it's been on the other cars I've done.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Mostly I just need to do the back of the seat which I think will be considerably easier than the bottom portion, but the more I think about it, the more I expect disaster!
                Last edited by AC75; 06-19-2014, 08:03 PM.
                1994 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

just be sure to have some hog ring pliers on hand, panel clip tool, and a good socket set. Should have you covered with that. Turning stuff inside out before installing it is the usual trick to getting it to actually go on... and having patience.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The replacement cover, is it used or new leather ? Is the leather soft or has it become hard. If it has become hard, don't waste your time.
                    If it is soft, installation will be much easier.
                    Another choice is to find another seat of the same color and swap everything. Much easier. What color is the seat ?

Comment

I don't have new covers yet, just trying to work out if it's a project I would be able to do on my own - which I think it probably is. Could hog-rings be replaced with zip-ties or something to make things easier?

There's absolutely no hope of finding a seat or covers in my area, so I was hoping to find someone online to get one from a junker if possible. Maybe use the Row52 service, or someone on one of the forums here or over on the Lincolns Online site.

I have read of some users buying whole seats for under 20 bucks, so if someone knew for a decent one I'd just get the covers pulled off and mailed to me - at my expense of course. My car is an 1994 LTC Executive Series with dark grey leather. I think the door sticker says B6. Here's a couple pictures off google that look the same. Obviously I'd have no need for the headrest, armrest, or that back-of-seat "plate" thing. Just the leather covers for the back portion and the base.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1994_lincoln_town_car_4_dr_executive_sedan-pic-1569252482999434550.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	600.2 KB
ID:	1274566Click image for larger version

Name:	1994_lincoln_town_car_4_dr_executive_sedan-pic-7499432206161375033.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	481.1 KB
ID:	1274567
                      Last edited by AC75; 06-20-2014, 11:57 AM.
                      1994 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Based upon what at I see in the pictures, I would not replace anything. I see normal wear, no tearing For the age it looks real good. Leather develops wear lines . Junk yard seats would look as good if not worse, than what you have. The best advise I would give you is keep the leather soft by treating it with a natural oil made for leather and something that will not damage the stitching. Keeping the leather out of the heat will help. Using zip ties instead of hog ring would not last since the hog rings attach to the metal frame. If you deal with hog rings, you need a good hog ring plier.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                          Based upon what at I see in the pictures, I would not replace anything. I see normal wear, no tearing For the age it looks real good. Leather develops wear lines . Junk yard seats would look as good if not worse, than what you have. The best advise I would give you is keep the leather soft by treating it with a natural oil made for leather and something that will not damage the stitching. Keeping the leather out of the heat will help. Using zip ties instead of hog ring would not last since the hog rings attach to the metal frame. If you deal with hog rings, you need a good hog ring plier.
                          Those aren't my seats, that's just pictures I found on google of the same style and color. My actual driver seat isn't too bad on the bottom portion, but up the back is worn through and there's some foam exposed. In some ways though that works in my favor as the seat back portion is often in good condition in junked cars with the base section having the majority of the wear. To be honest, it's a strange wear pattern that I don't see on these cars too often.
                          Last edited by AC75; 06-21-2014, 01:08 AM.
                          1994 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Try Carpart.com You will have to call around to different yards but you might find something close to where you are. Yards will not pull off covers. Plan to buy the whole seat. I have had seats shipped by Greyhound. Just have them disconnect top from bottom and pack it up. Works well.

Comment

Working...
                            X