Problem with car's seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with car's seat?

Ok so my seat makes a clicking/popping sound when getting up/out of my seat or when I'm going over bumps. I can't make the seat do it every time but some days it happens really bad and some days it doesn't happen at all. it feels like the cushion shifts when this happens.

I checked the track and it seems fine. also changing the seats position doesn't seem to help when it's having the episode

here's a vid I made when it was happening https://vimeo.com/127413819

Notice that the seat doesn't move at all. it's coming from right under the cushions.

What could this be? does this happen to anyone else?

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 62K miles

check the bolts mounting the track to the seat and the seat to the floor. If those are all secure, it's probably the spring under the cushion against the chair frame. You'd have to get under there and put a little grease on the spring hooks at the frame. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but those are the usual suspects. My passenger seat in my 88 sounds like it's loose as hell driving down the road, but it's quiet with someone sitting in it. The seat back is a dink loose in the recline mechanism allowing it to bounce off the stops a bit.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have seen the seat frame break before. It can break at the mounting area at/near the floor. It also can break at the seat pan area. If you have a broken spring mesh under the cushion (very common) it will make noise and shift a bit. The mesh can be bought at an upholstery supply store. Not expensive. Make sure you use a sheet of burlap between the mesh and the cushion. This will prevent the mesh cutting into the foam. The springs that attach to the mesh on one side, and the seat pan usually are good. When you replace the mesh, Make sure the mesh is TIGHT. If not, you will have wasted you time. Since it is apart, now is the time to build up the foam if worn or damaged. Inspect /repair the seat pan, mountings to the floor and all the pan joints. I have seen them tear. When I did my 90 CV, the pan was torn. Now is the time to replace the hog rings and make sure you get a decent hog ring tool. Pinching your fingers with other tools is not fun.
      Depending on your skill, The job can be done in 2-3 hours. Hope this helps you.
      Last edited by Mainemantom; 05-11-2015, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
        I have seen the seat frame break before. It can break at the mounting area at/near the floor. It also can break at the seat pan area. If you have a broken spring mesh under the cushion (very common) it will make noise and shift a bit. The mesh can be bought at an upholstery supply store. Not expensive. Make sure you use a sheet of burlap between the mesh and the cushion. This will prevent the mesh cutting into the foam. The springs that attach to the mesh on one side, and the seat pan usually are good. When you replace the mesh, Make sure the mesh is TIGHT. If not, you will have wasted you time. Since it is apart, now is the time to build up the foam if worn or damaged. Inspect /repair the seat pan, mountings to the floor and all the pan joints. I have seen them tear. When I did my 90 CV, the pan was torn. Now is the time to replace the hog rings and make sure you get a decent hog ring tool. Pinching your fingers with other tools is not fun.
        Depending on your skill, The job can be done in 2-3 hours. Hope this helps you.
        This is not something that I will be able to do Lol.

This might sound stupid but I bring this car to regular mechanic, will they know what to do? I'm afraid they will see the problem but not be able to fix it and I will be charged... I don't also want to bring it to the ford/lincoln dealer by my house because they will probably charge me 3x as much.
        Last edited by seeforyourself; 05-11-2015, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Unless you have a really ambitious mechanic I doubt they would play with the seat. Need an upholstery shop to do it.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

+1 upholstery shop. But make sure the metal of the rails and seat pan aren't broken first.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you have more than one upholstery shop in your area, take it by each one. Some shops don't want to be bothered. Other shops might want to fix it. Your money would be better spent with a shop that does that work every day.

Comment

Phoenix Interiors.........Franklin Sq, LI NY !!!!

Comment

Problem with car's seat?

Hey guys I have another question. So I know that this is about the seat making noise but this is in the same category. (as in car seats)

How do I put the 2003+ head rests in a 2001 Mercury grand Marquis? I like to rest my head up against the seat because I got into a bad rear end collision years ago and ever since I like good rear head support and the newer head rests seem to be more comfortable on the head/neck

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 62K miles

Comment

So guys it went away for 4 1/2 months then now came back again. I made a video of under my seat this time and I noticed that the foam is very worn out and there is a clicking sound when I move around At around 10 seconds in https://vimeo.com/142064242

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The 2003 hear rests will slide right in where the 01 are now, no problem!
                      BUT, they will not lock in place, meaning you can't adjust them a notch or two about the seat.
                      They will look right at home but will always be in the down position.

Comment

It sounds like the seat pan is cracked. You may never see it unless you take the seat upholstery off the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                          Phoenix Interiors.........Franklin Sq, LI NY !!!!
                          Wouldn't that be expensive? they look like more custom designers rather than fixing a seat that is loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                            It sounds like the seat pan is cracked. You may never see it unless you take the seat upholstery off the pan.
                            Is there a video on how to do it? I don't trust myself lol

Comment

Working...
                            X