Speaker not working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker not working.

I recently found a set of "Premium Sound" Door speakers out of a 91 Grand Marquis LS. I installed them into my 89 GS, which never had door speakers to begin with. I used the plugs that I found in the doors. I assumed that they were plug and play and while the left side works the right doesn't. I tried both speakers and they both work on the left side but not the right. Have I missed something? Was I wrong to assume it's as simple as putting the speakers in and plugging them in? Or do I likely have some sort of electrical issue?
    Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Pop off the right hand kick panel and fish around for an unplugged connector, it was probably never connected from the factory since you didn't have door speakers.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I'm not familiar with the specifics of your car, but since both speakers work, the only potential issues seem to be a bad head unit or a wiring issue. What kind of head unit are we dealing with here BTW? In any case, if tjc78's suggestion doesn't fix it, you might as well pull the head unit and unplug it and check to see that the pins are not f'd up. Then you can check the continuity of the speaker wires by using an ohmmeter to verify that there is no (or negligible) resistance from one end of the wires to the other. If the pins and wires are okay, then it must be a problem with the head unit itself.
      Last edited by IPreferDIY; 06-07-2015, 09:16 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

If your 89 is anything like my 88, the connectors in the door are BS. You need to run wire from the dash connectors.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
          Pop off the right hand kick panel and fish around for an unplugged connector, it was probably never connected from the factory since you didn't have door speakers.
          Ah HA! Alright I found the connector that has the same colour wires as the speaker plug. Where might I find the other end?

Comment

It's been so long, I don't remember exactly but it couldn't have been far. AfAIK the doors run in parallel to dash speakers, so it probably originates near there.
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              If your 89 is anything like my 88, the connectors in the door are BS. You need to run wire from the dash connectors.
              This. If you do not have premium sound, the door harness is not connected. You will have to run the wires from the dash location. Welcome to "base" model MGM ownership.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I looked around the right side dash speaker and I found a connector. Does that have anything to do with the sound system? Or should I just tap directly into the dash speaker connector?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0091[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1277694

Comment

just tap the dash connector. That connector goes to something else that's not fitted. GS models had a lot of "not installed" about them.

Comment

It appears Sly is right. On my 89 my passenger door speaker didn't work (actually never worked since the car was Pops brand new) and the connector was right there in the kick panel never connected from the factory. This was an LS with premium sound.

Tap into the dash speaker. At least you don't have to run the wires through the door.
                    Past Panthers

Comment

... At least you don't have to run the wires through the door.
                      Although if you really want to, you can upgrade to 14 gauge, or even 12 gauge.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

For a stock speaker, with a 3 foot distance? Overkill?
                        Past Panthers

Comment

There's always a chance he might outgrow them.

Comment

I ended up disconnecting the dash speakers and connecting the right dash speaker wire to the plug behind the kick panel. It would have been nice to have the 6 speakers. It does sound much better now though.

Comment

For a stock speaker, with a 3 foot distance? Overkill?
                              Now this would be my idea of overkill:

Click image for larger version

Name:	10gaSpeakerWire.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1277852

Comment

Working...
                              X