Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piece of door panel loose (power window buttons and lock switch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piece of door panel loose (power window buttons and lock switch)

Hi my 2001 Mercury grand Marquis has a very annoying problem which is horrible when playing music with bass.

it has a loose piece on the door panel which seems to not want to snap on right (heck it seems un-aligned)

Here is a video of the part

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 62K miles

If nobody give you a better answer, try a matchbook or some even thinner cardstock.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

basically remove it and use some rubber tape to line the contact points and snap it back down. About the only way to fix that since it's plastic on plastic.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Is that little plastic tab on the end broken off?
        If it is, thats your problem, if it isn't, I would remove the whole thing and carefully put it back on.
        Making sure everything lines up and nothing is being forced into position.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
          Is that little plastic tab on the end broken off?
          If it is, thats your problem, if it isn't, I would remove the whole thing and carefully put it back on.
          Making sure everything lines up and nothing is being forced into position.
          it's not and it seems that it's not aligned properly. I tried taking it apart and putting it back but it doesn't work...

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 62K miles

Comment

It's been awhile since I've taken mine off, and I don't want to mess around with it if I don't need to, but I'm pretty sure there are metal clip things that are attached to the plastic tabs on the piece that comes off. That's the sort of problem that U-pull yards are ideal for.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I was at a U-pull yard today and confirmed there are supposed to be metal clips on the plastic. There's a good chance the clip(s) fell into the bottom of the door, so you can try pulling off the door panel and having a look there if that would be more convenient than getting to a U-pull yard.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                I was at a U-pull yard today and confirmed there are supposed to be metal clips on the plastic. There's a good chance the clip(s) fell into the bottom of the door, so you can try pulling off the door panel and having a look there if that would be more convenient than getting to a U-pull yard.
                How many clips did it have? I have 2 on mine.

Comment

Just going from memory again (which sucks for certain things), there are two on that part, one front, one rear. For others' edification, there are plastic tabs that stick down on the front and rear of the switch part, and the clips slide onto the plastic tabs. The clips are made of a wire-like material and are in a diamond shape, so when they're put on the plastic tabs there are double triangles sticking out on either side of each plastic tab. The protruding points of the triangles get squeezed when pushed into the slots, and they spring back to act as retainers when full inserted. They often pop off when the switch part is removed.

If the problem is there with the metal clips present, I'd be guessing some kind of misalignment of the door panel, especially from the funny angle that can be seen at the rear of the switch part. Did you have the door panel off at some point? The panels themselves have tab things that protrude and stick down, and when you put the panel on the door the tab things fit into slots and support the weight of the panel while you put the screws in the bottom. If one of those tab things aren't inserted properly, the panel will bulge out and cause alignment issues. If you hadn't removed the panel, it could be that someone else didn't put it on right while the switch part was already in place, and the problem only showed up when you took the switch part off.

Comment

Working...
                  X