Soooo much rattling?! Is this normal?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soooo much rattling?! Is this normal?!

Hi guys my 2001 MGM with 71k miles has lots of rattles over bumps! It seems like the door panels are hollow. When going over a bump especially over a bump that its my left tire, the whole interior jolts and i hear rattles throughout the car. Some times I notice that it wont be as bad and sometimes it would rattle over little tiny imperfection.

I have noticed that the rattles arnt that bad when the windows are down. I don't remember this being much of a problem when I bought my car a year ago with 50k miles. What can this be? I replaced the door strikers and the doors seem like they are properly shut. I also made sure the door panel's bolts are all on tightly but it still seems like they arn't "tight".

I love my car but this is my only complaint! I don't know if this is because I have been driving my moms car more often (Mercedes Benz) but it seems like that theres more of a jolt when hitting a bump but i don't notice my car bouncing as if i have bad shocks. The mercedes benz absorbs the jolt from a bump but i feel the bump more than the grand marquis. Does that make any sense? Basically my car jolts over bumps rather than absorbing it but doesn't have the bouncing i'd expect from a bad shock absorber. I don't remember my car always being like this so this is why I think it could be my suspension instead? but then again my interior rattles so much over little bumps too!

I do also notice a creaking sound when accelerating and stopping at low speeds so I don't know if that has to do with anything.

__

I know this is in the interior section but I don't know if its my suspension or my interior!

Thanks

Could be body mount bushings, a loose wire harness in the door, frame flex if it's rotting, wasted control arm bushings, shocks that are worn out and seizing up in a weird way, a loose window regulator, a loose door speaker, a mechanic's tool left in the door, and/or a loose nut. Without taking the door panel off and checking things out, there's not much to go on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It sounds like one of those things that's really hard to diagnose over the internet. Is it localized enough and predictable enough that you can do a video?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Too many possibilities, but it could be suspension related too. You'd need to localize the noise more. These cars are usually pretty quiet.

If its under the front end, I'd be looking at ball joints, sway bar end links, the brake backing plates (they can rot around the rivet and flop around), the shocks, and really anything else up there. Its not at the mileage where I'd suspect ball joints normally but its old enough that the grease boots could have failed, and once that happens the ball joints are not long for this world.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

realistically, it's probably several of the things mentioned.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I just brought my car to Ford for "The works" which includes an oil change and a inspection of the suspension and fluid. I think that they didn't check it because I'm starting to notice that my front passenger shock absorber doesnt stiffen up when I try to bounce it. It does settle though after 2 bounces. My front driver side does stiffen up when bouncing it and takes one bounce to settle.... Is this the shock absorber going bad and will begin to bounce more frequently? Would this cause a rough ride? Though when I thought a shock absorber starts to go it will have a very smooth ride.... I do notice thought when I make lefts the car leans a lot more than when I turn right.

I'm starting to think the interior noise has to do with a cheap interior also

Comment

when shocks go bad, the ride tends to get floaty and out of control. It should not bounce twice before stopping.

Sounds like time for a pair of shocks.

I really doubt the noise is just cheap interior. Even in base model trim these are not known to be overly noisy cars. I've been in clapped out taxi cabs that I would not describe as being overly noisy, and those things have had the hell beat out of them. Possible someone has been into places on yours and broken retaining clips though. That will make it noisy. I think you're going to have to localize the noise and open things up to see whats going on.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                when shocks go bad, the ride tends to get floaty and out of control. It should not bounce twice before stopping.

Sounds like time for a pair of shocks.

I really doubt the noise is just cheap interior. Even in base model trim these are not known to be overly noisy cars. I've been in clapped out taxi cabs that I would not describe as being overly noisy, and those things have had the hell beat out of them. Possible someone has been into places on yours and broken retaining clips though. That will make it noisy. I think you're going to have to localize the noise and open things up to see whats going on.
                What shocks should I get? I like the cushy floaty feeling of the oem shocks... Is there a third party shocks that are very soft like motor crafts or should I fish out the money and buy oem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sachs or Motorcraft ones are great.
                  -Nick M.
                  Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                  03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

If you like OEM, Motorcraft are the way to go. Rockauto often has them for fairly cheap.

Comment

If you like OEM, Motorcraft are the way to go. Rockauto often has them for fairly cheap.
                      I just looked them up; what is the difference between heavy duty shocks and sport handling shocks?

Why are both of them cheaper than the stock shocks?

Comment

sport handling will have stiffer valving. Its what you would get on the handling package cars. Not quite sure what the HD ones would be, but I'd assume stiffer valving there as well. Possibly those are code for police package. How much each differs from the standard non-sport and non-HD shock I couldn't tell you.

I'd probably go sport package shocks, but I don't so much love the hangover on a water bed sort of feeling.

Comment

sport handling will have stiffer valving. Its what you would get on the handling package cars. Not quite sure what the HD ones would be, but I'd assume stiffer valving there as well. Possibly those are code for police package. How much each differs from the standard non-sport and non-HD shock I couldn't tell you.

I'd probably go sport package shocks, but I don't so much love the hangover on a water bed sort of feeling.
                          LOL! I love the going over waves feeling so I guess I'll go with the standard shocks.

Comment

Working...
                          X