Re - doing trunk on my 91

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re - doing trunk on my 91

Tommorow morning, I am going to be redoing the trunk on the car. Since I had to pull everything out to work on tracing down the problem with the trunk wiring, I decided to go ahead and redo the trunk... I have always hated the way that the side panels bow and end up halfway into the side "wells" on the side of the trunk floor. So here is a list of what is going to happen...
    1. ospho'ed the trunk floor where I have a little surface rust.. sand, clean and prime the floor, mostly in the "well" part.
    2. Going to paint the floor, the sides of the trunk, and across the back of the trunk with truck bed spray. Most of it will be covered with carpet anyway.
    3. Going to fabricate out of plywood some "wing" pieces that will cover the side of the trunk where the small wells are.
    To keep them from rotting out, and to keep them rigid, they will be covered with bed liner paint as well.
    They will be screwed to the trunk floor on either side of the trunk well.
    Then I will glue and screw down the original side pieces to the plywood, with small screws and fender washers. This should take the "bow" out of
    them and flatten them back out.
    Eventually, I will mount a 10 lb. Fire Extinguisher on one side of the trunk where the plywood wings are. A tie down will be on the other side
    to hold down my trauma bag.
    Put the carpet back in the trunk after cleaning it, then drop the trunk organizer back into the trunk well. (The police package style organizer)
    4. Photos will be taken on the progress, I will post them when I am done... I am hoping it looks as good as my design seems to look.
    5. I will not be painting the inside of the trunk lid with the bed liner paint, in fact any place that the white shows, it will not be painted.
    6. all of the trunk wiring will be re-wrapped with electrical tape just like from the factory, and reattached to the wire holders. I am also thinking of
    "Split looming" all of the trunk wiring... Ford did the trunk half and half, and it looks weird... the lower part of the harness was wrapped, while
    the part going up to the trunk lid was split loomed.... Guess "out of sight" they didn't bother "wasting" split loom....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

I would love to see photos of the organizer in the trunk!
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Is this an organizer out of a later model? Would love to see how it fits in a box. I want one very much for my car, but they don't turn up often.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes, it is the Ford Police organizer, and it fits perfectly in my trunk. I'll try to find a picture of it In my trunk....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Yes, please do. Couple people around are selling them...some in jersey and some near me. The guy near me was an ass when I asked him about the dimensions so fuck him ill pay more to a nicer individual for one if they work.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

They actually fit perfectly... I worked on the trunk today, trying to get it done, so I can put it back in so I can get some photos....

Comment

Trunk cleanup done!!!

Ok, trunk is done except for the side panels, they were still not dry from being scrubbed... So here are the photos....

Surface rust taken care of with Ospho...

New plywood side panels for the trunk " side well area".

After painting with bedliner spray...

Drivers side

Wiring cleaned up and put in Split loom...

Police "Trunk Pack" installed

FINISHED!!! Except for the side carpeted panels, they will go in tomorrow...
              Last edited by trwp72; 10-22-2015, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Nice work. Looks great. NIce to see a picture of the trunk pack installed too! Ccan we get one from the side and focused on the trunk latch area. Looks like the police pack sits close to the latch. I have a trunk muncher installed and I would most likely have to notch out a hole for the liner to fit.
                ~David~

Comment

NOICE!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What Ford part number is on the Trunk pack ? I could use one in my 90 CV for sure. Project turned out well.

Comment

The trunk pack will clear the lock with about 3-4 inches to spare... it sits well below the lock. (The top of the trunk pack sits level with the top of the trunk "well".... ) I'll have to look on the sticker and see if it has a part number for it....

Comment

Ford part number for the Trunk Pack.... 4W7Z-5411600-AAB Additional information on the unit:

Trunk Pack Organizer with Kevlar protection. Used in police cars to safely carry guns, ammo, etc. and organize equipment for quick access.

Factory label says: “POLICE TRUNK PACK . ALIGN HARD OR SHARP POLICE EQUIPMENT LATERALLY. DuPont KEVLAR used to reinforce front wall for puncture resistance. Ford. DuPont KEVLAR .” Used, but in good usable condition.

Could also be used by hunters.

Could possibly be used as a feed trough for cattle, if securely mounted in a trough frame or on a wall.

Could also be used to raise various aquatic life.

Would function well as a large planter, if holes were drilled in the bottom to allow drainage.

Approximate dimensions: 46" wide. Back wall ht. 14". Middle divider ht. 10". Front ht. 8".

Trunk Pack™ and Trunk Loading
                        It is strongly recommended that equipment used by police officers in the field and carried in the vehicle be organized in a manner so that they do not become loose projectiles, possibly puncturing adjacent components. It is further recommended that police officers consider using mounting systems, such as the Complete Police Prep Package, that secure items away from the possibility of fuel tank puncture, and/or soft sided containers to organize trunk equipment. Some organizers are made of metal and/or wood that could possibly not be deformed in a rear end impact and could be driven into the rear seat or fuel tank. Containers that will not easily deform are not recommended for this type of application. It is recognized that not all police vehicles need a trunk organizer but these packing considerations will help increase the officers' safety in high-speed rear end collisions. Police officers must be cognizant that some items can be driven into the rear seat or puncture the fuel tank if placed longitudinally (Front to Rear) in the trunk and these items should be stored laterally (Side to Side).
                        To improve trunk packing by police agencies, Ford has made the following items available:•Trunk Pack™ – a drop-in box with a tough plastic shell made of High Density Polyethylene (HDPE). It both aligns police equipment laterally in the trunk and utilizes a Dupont Kevlar®* lining on the fore side of the box to reduce the risk of police equipment penetrating into the fuel tank and/or back seat in high-speed rear impacts.
                        •Trunk Equipment Mounting Guide – an outline pattern with recommended fastener mounting locations in the trunk.
                        •Trunk Packing Considerations – the following guidelines are offered to reduce the risk of unique police equipment items pushing through the fuel tank and/or back seat.
                        Trunk Packing Considerations
                        A slogan has been developed to increase police agency awareness of the importance of trunk packing.
                        'LOAD SAFE'
                        L – Lateral S – Soft
                        O – Orientation A – and
                        A – and F – Fixed
                        D – Direction E – Equipment

Equipment Categories and Placement
                        It is recognized that a wide variety of equipment is carried in the trunks of police vehicles as noted above. This section addresses the inherent risks of various types of equipment during high-speed rear collisions. This information is divided into three categories:
                        •Carrying Not Recommended – The following items have been observed in police vehicles and should not be transported in a vehicle trunk–containers with gasoline*, loose ammunition, loose flares, loose fire extinguisher(s), loose 4- point lug wrench, loose crowbars, loose axes and other loose equipment with potential puncture capability in high speed rear end collisions.

*CAUTION: Gasoline should not be stored in the trunk at any time, regardless of container.

•Carry With Caution - These items will require special packing or mounting consideration and possibly use of the Trunk Pack™ as an additional level of safety. Examples include (with proposed orientation): fire extinguisher (fixed), lug wrench 4 point (fixed - vertical), rolotape measuring wheel (fixed - vertical), safety flares (lateral orientation – in a container), Stop Stick (lateral - mount on deck lid inner panel), shovel (lateral - place at rear of trunk), shotgun and rifle (lateral - store in case), baton (lateral - place at rear of trunk), electronic equipment (use Trunk Equipment Mounting Guide to determine equipment mounting locations), ammunition (container). It is recommended that flares be placed in a protective storage container (preferably soft sided plastic) and not loose in the trunk or passenger compartment. Flares with spikes attached should be laterally oriented in the trunk area.

1. Spare Tire Special Considerations
                        The safest location for the spare tire, jack and lug wrench is the production location on the forward package shelf above the rear axle. If unable to mount there, the next safest location for the spare tire is inside the Trunk Pack™ and mounted vertically at the front of the passenger side of the trunk. The jack and lug wrench should be stored in the rearward compartment of the Trunk Pack™.Watch video

2. Electronic and Other ‘Hard’ Equipment
                        The safest location for the electronic equipment is on the trunk forward package shelf. Some equipment can be mounted in the side shelf areas, but it should not protrude into the fuel tank area in a crash (noted in Mounting Guide). A Trunk Pack™ is available to facilitate packaging of electronic components with a sliding tray for the forward package shelf and side compartments in the right and left shelf area. All equipment should be located and mounted using theTrunk Equipment Mounting Guide for proper positioning of fasteners. The sliding Trunk Pack™ can also be used, depending on size, to properly store parts with rigid and sharp edges.

3. Ammunition
                        The safest location for ammunition is the forward package shelf and on the side shelves. It is recommended that a plastic storage container (see Police Prep Package (68P) - Trunk Storage Boxes, LH or RH box can be purchased separately from an Authorized Ford dealer) be utilized and mounted using theTrunk Mounting Equipment Guide for proper fastener locations. .It is also recommended that ammunition remain in the purchased container and be placed in a safe storage container.
                        •Low Risk Items – These items are soft in feel and pose a low risk of trunk wall, rear seat area, and fuel tank puncture. Examples are: a soft camera case, biohazard kit in plastic boxes, gloves, safety rope, tow strap, traffic cones & sleeves, rain gear, riot gear (soft), emergency blankets, bullet resistant vest, tie straps, cloth tape, garment bags, first responder kit, Res-Q-Flo mask (placed in garment bag), fuses (plastic container), briefcase, notebooks, spray bottles, helmet, and jumper cables. It is not necessary but recommended that the Trunk Pack™ can be considered for organization of low risk items, especially if mixed with “Carry With Caution” items.

Comment

plus one!!!!!!!!
                          Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                          What Ford part number is on the Trunk pack ? I could use one in my 90 CV for sure. Project turned out well.

Comment

Originally posted by trwp72 View Post
                            Ford part number for the Trunk Pack.... 4W7Z-5411600-AAB
                            Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                            plus one!!!!!!!!
                            It was the first line of the big post there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have to find a trunk organizer for my disaster area of a trunk, I have too mutch junk in my trunk.

Comment

Working...
                              X