Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain!!!!!!!!!!! the hunt continues!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain!!!!!!!!!!! the hunt continues!!!!!!

So as our forum friend David knows I have a situation with my '86 Tudor when it comes to rain. After a usual downpour the rear drivers side carpet will have like an inch of water on it, soaking the shit out of the poor carpet, and the weeks it takes to dry the shit out. As I told Dave the water seems to enter the car from within the inner area of the shoulder belt "pull".........I mean sitting in the car it looks like a hose is behind that large plastic panel....I have covered the rear floor with thick plastic sheets and several layers of "The Absorber" (faux chamois). Yes it traps and keep the water on top on the area and in time it evaporates. I have been sick as of late and have not been able to meet up with David at his house in Whitestone, Queens. to pull the interior and see (with a hose) where the water is pouring in from??? Yesterday I took some Mortite caulk and worked it around the window (outside) then followed up with some rubber strip on the outside reveal moldings.Come spring I will see David and see what the story is. It it raining this weekend, maybe by Monday I'll check out if the rain continued to pour in...................and I thought Studebaker Avantis leak????????????

have you verified the drains in the door are clear? They are on the inner door skin along the bottom, basically where the outer skin crimps to the inner skin. Should be one front and rear of the door.

only thing that should be able to let water in through the B pillar is the vinyl top belt or the coach lamp.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      have you verified the drains in the door are clear? They are on the inner door skin along the bottom, basically where the outer skin crimps to the inner skin. Should be one front and rear of the door.

only thing that should be able to let water in through the B pillar is the vinyl top belt or the coach lamp.
      LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!! Thain!!!!!!!!!!!! the bottom of both doors is rotted out!!!!!.......so water comes in........then goes directly out!!!!!!!!! LOL Well lets see what happens after the next rain, meaning with all the work I put into sealing up the rear window, I want to see if water is still coming in. If the top belt is leaking, then I am f-ed, as to get to it to fix....I did take the coach lamp out but hard to do anything with that inner plastic panel still in place...........I did put Mortite around the outside of the coach lamp though....lets see what happens. Really I am a lazy F-K...........this thing has been leaking like this for 25 years and I am not getting to the root cause:-(.. As I said to David, before the car rots off the frame I would like for my own sanity be able to fit this;-)

Comment

here she was in better times;-)

Comment

I had a similar problem with an 87 parts car. It was fine until about a week before I sold it and it magically filled up the rear drivers side footwell. Never found the cause but I could only guess a door wasn't completely shut and it came in that way. The 2G lit up that same week.

Also possible there is some rust hiding under the vinyl top, maybe around the window, and it's leaking from there?
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Tig if the roof is the cause, well the F-er will just stay that way with me catching the water with the absorber material.

Comment

I think this is the first time I've seen a pic of your car. It looks really nice!

I noticed a similar leak in my GM the other day but on the passenger's side. The water seemed to be by the top of the plastic panel where the passenger's seat belt attaches. I don't have any water pooling on the floor though so mine still might be a newer leak. My CV's frame rotted out on the passenger's side around that same location directly down from there so now I'm wonder if water was running down inside the body and somehow dripping on the frame or something. The rest of my frame and body underneath on that car was actually pretty clean except for that one section of the passenger's side frame rail so it was odd that it got so bad there.

Curious to hear what you find when you dig around for the root cause. Hopefully it's not anything with the vinyl top.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Yo "Slack" LOL.........I may be "imprisoned" in Manhattan now, but I actually grew up in Nassau County.............Valley Stream.....after moving out of Brooklyn when I was ten years old. Yes I am looking forward to pulling the interior plastic panels off to see exactly where the water is coming in from. As I previously stated, if you were sitting in the passenger seat during a rain storm and looked across to where the (drivers) shoulder belt retracts into that plastic piece, you would see water coming right out of the belt opening! I am really a "stupid" "F" for not curing this problem since getting the car well over 30 years ago:-( Oh thanks for the comment about the car, it still is an excellent "20 footer".......its so sad, the tops of both fenders where the stamped seam is.............rotted away, I put some of that "magic" "flex-tape" on the holes and painted over it .....oh and a few months ago some shit in an SUV did a 360 turn around on my block, and his front bumper pushed in a small section of the drivers door side q-panel...............leave a note???????????? you kidding me, this is NYC:-( No rational human being would leave a good vehicle on the street to park.

Comment

Thain if the rain was coming in from the roof molding, would not my headliner be soaked and f-ed up???????

Comment

the belt runs down the side, could be leaking on the side only. Coach lamps are only on the side, and they have a foam gasket if they fit in there like they do on Lincolns. 40 year old foam is more like dust and sadness at this point in time.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the belt runs down the side, could be leaking on the side only. Coach lamps are only on the side, and they have a foam gasket if they fit in there like they do on Lincolns. 40 year old foam is more like dust and sadness at this point in time.
                      After this rain I will again check, then cover the opera lamp and check again.

Comment

Working...
                      X