No announcement yet.

Guess wagons arn't so popular anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess a Vanagon is more what I would expect to see in Germany. I found a website that said it has about 200 cubic feet (about 5.7 cubic metres) of cargo capacity with the center seat removed, which is nearly twice what a Country Squire has with the rear seat folded down.

I guess you're not in the market for a Smart or a Honda Fit?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      Yep, it's amazing what 110 cubic feet of luggage space and decent passenger space can do. I still surprise people from time to time with what my cars can carry. I personally see no point at all in owning most newer vehicles - can't see how they sell the way they do. Most don't even do as good on gas as I'd expect from something a dozen-plus years newer, and smaller and front-wheel-drive besides. And when was the last time you heard of someone really doing their own work on their minivan?

Yay for wagons!

Yeah, my 2003 Protege 5 has a 135HP 2.0L 4 banger with a 5 speed and it's gotten 24mpg on trips...Thats the same MPG the Truckster gets, and it can haul 5 times more stuff. The truckster has more than double the displacement, HP, and torque! And it's an automatic and the car wieghs at LEAST 1200 lbs more!
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
        Yeah, my 2003 Protege 5 has a 135HP 2.0L 4 banger with a 5 speed and it's gotten 24mpg on trips...Thats the same MPG the Truckster gets, and it can haul 5 times more stuff. The truckster has more than double the displacement, HP, and torque! And it's an automatic and the car wieghs at LEAST 1200 lbs more!
        WOW! I keep hearing of small four- and six-cylinder cars getting under 30 mpg from time to time, but 24 mpg with a 5 speed is something else.

Comment

WOW! I keep hearing of small four- and six-cylinder cars getting under 30 mpg from time to time, but 24 mpg with a 5 speed is something else.

That's with the wife and 2 kids, luggage, coolers, and a rooftop cargo box...And that's through the contiental divide (lots of mountains) at 65-70mph. Lotta load on the little POS. Truckster doesn't need the roof box and can still fit so much more. And it's an automatic, which I love on trips. And I can spread out and relax, which I can't do in the protege because of how small it is. Wife and I are constantly hitting each other..

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
            The truckster has more than double the displacement, HP, and torque!
            Don't forget double the cylinders which makes for a sweet exhaust sound. 24MPG for a 4K wagon with an Explorer motor and other mods like 3.73 gears is really good. Do you get 24MPG on the highway or the city? If you get 24 in the city, that's unreal.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
              Don't forget double the cylinders which makes for a sweet exhaust sound. 24MPG for a 4K wagon with an Explorer motor and other mods like 3.73 gears is really good. Do you get 24MPG on the highway or the city? If you get 24 in the city, that's unreal.
              It's my average milage, with more highway than city or backroads. Motor doesn't have to work much to move the beast. So better milage. It gets 19-24mpg. Which is pretty darn good. And I am still running a stock belt driven fan, which is robbing HP and MPG!

Comment

I guess a Vanagon is more what I would expect to see in Germany. I found a website that said it has about 200 cubic feet (about 5.7 cubic metres) of cargo capacity with the center seat removed, which is nearly twice what a Country Squire has with the rear seat folded down.

I guess you're not in the market for a Smart or a Honda Fit?

hm, that can be. but some models don´t have removable seats. For example the "Caravelle Carat" model we once had. but you´ve got a lot of space, that´s right
                but you´ll see a vanagon in every street here. but a box-wagon? they´re very seldom and the sound is much better
                Living in a Box

Comment

Originally posted by Chris84 View Post
                  hm, that can be. but some models don´t have removable seats. For example the "Caravelle Carat" model we once had. but you´ve got a lot of space, that´s right
                  but you´ll see a vanagon in every street here. but a box-wagon? they´re very seldom and the sound is much better
                  Yay for Europeans who like the sound of American cars!

Comment

oh yeah...

it´s like a little chronicle in our family, we usually ever had a ford... first it was a granada station, than a sierra wagon, and now the CV and a Mondeo wagon...
                    the 2nd car was the vanagon, but that was from 87 - 97
                    Living in a Box

Comment

Working...
                    X