X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andyfanshawe
    replied
    Originally posted by game over View Post
    hi guys, need your help. my tailgate support cable (don't know how to call it right), which works, when you open tailgate in horizontal position is broken by rust and didn't works. and this is the problem to my tailgate door hinges, which are destroyed by this. as i think the repair of this part is impossible. and i have a question - how can i fix this deal? the best solution to this - to sell me a pair of cables, because my friend's colony park has the same problem. or i can go another way?
    I've just repaired mine.
    I got it off the car first and then clamped each end in a vice by the ring end. Then heated up the crimped part with an acetylene torch and pryed them open enough to pull the remains of the rusty cable out. Then bought some more wire cable from a haulage company and crimped it back in with my big vice!!

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

Leave a comment:

• 1987cp
    replied
    I'd look at trying to use regular bulk cable from the hardware store. The wagon tailgate cables are just held on with big bolts. You could see if it's possible to whittle up a bit of flat metal to replicate the original cable ends, or if there's enough room under the bolts (or room for longer bolts, possibly), you could probably use one of those channeled metal loops used for making nice, durable loops in the end of cables.

Leave a comment:

• game over
    replied
    hi guys, need your help. my tailgate support cable (don't know how to call it right), which works, when you open tailgate in horizontal position is broken by rust and didn't works. and this is the problem to my tailgate door hinges, which are destroyed by this. as i think the repair of this part is impossible. and i have a question - how can i fix this deal? the best solution to this - to sell me a pair of cables, because my friend's colony park has the same problem. or i can go another way?

Leave a comment:

• marquisman
    replied
    they are servicable but, they are a massive pain in the ass

Leave a comment:

• 1987cp
    replied
    Originally posted by marquisman View Post
    im almost positive that you will need hinge bushings. can you lift up on the tailgate and feel play in the hinge?
    Hinges are servicable? That's somewhat surprising ... it's hard enough to get the things off the car in the first place!

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    Does the gate shut and open properly? If it does, leave it alone. Adjusting those things is a horrible excersize in frustration.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    You need pins and bushings.

Leave a comment:

• beatswift
    replied
    yes on both the tailgate and the door I can lift and feel free play

Leave a comment:

• marquisman
    replied
    im almost positive that you will need hinge bushings. can you lift up on the tailgate and feel play in the hinge?

Leave a comment:

• beatswift
    replied
    Im very new to this and my tailgate is sagging on my colony park how do you adjust the hinges? or do they need to be replaced? I also have a passenger side door thats sagging a little

Leave a comment:

• 1987cp
    replied
    Originally posted by Tillinghast View Post
    The odds of that being a little to much for my brain to comprehend I told my brain to shut the Hell up and paid the man...
    :jawdrop: I'll say!

Leave a comment:

• Tillinghast
    replied
    On my 75 Meteor I had to replace everything, I got lucky and found all NEW (believe it or not) in the package replacements at a yard sale. The odds of that being a little to much for my brain to comprehend I told my brain to shut the Hell up and paid the man...
    Just for weird stuff like that happening often back then I miss living in Calgary.

Leave a comment:

• marquisman
    replied
    if the gate ha any movement at the hinge, the pin bushings should be replaced. even a little move ment at the hinge can cause lots of play

Leave a comment:

• wagon mafia
    replied
    mins just sagging badly, and i'm not sure how to adjust it

Leave a comment:

• LTD86
    replied
    Originally posted by wagon mafia View Post
    as for the plastic around the strickers, if you can't find any get some GOOD rubber hose. my parents had a for van that they could get the striker off to replace the part, so they used the hose. had to replace it every few months but worked great!
    That is exactly what I did. All of the wagons at the wreckers around here were missing the plastic on the striker so I bought some rubber fuel hose and fit it around the striker. I could not get the striker apart to replace the plastic so I just cut a slit in the hose, put it on the striker, and put a few laps of electrical tape around it. It has been working perfect now for a few months. If it wears out it is not a big deal to replace the hose.

+1 on soaking the latches in WD-40. My tailgate would not work in the fold down position. I soaked all of the tailgate latches in the WD-40 and now it works perfect in the swing open and fold down positions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X