Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 Town Car sound system.

Okay guys,
    My Town Car is factory equipped with the six disc stereo, and 4 speaker system. I want to upgrade the system, as I do a lot of out of state traveling. The biggest issue I'm having is I can't get a straight answer on the speaker sizes. The closest thing I can figure is it has 6x8's at all four corners. I'm biased towards Kenwood, but I'm not looking to spend 1200 on the stereo that fits my needs. What I'm looking for is: Double Din - CD - USB - Navigation. Are there any other brands out there that are in the same class as Kenwood?
    MIKE

I would consider Pioneer to be in the same class if not better than Kenwood (except the eXcelon line - that's pretty damn good). Alpine, JVC's better stuff, Blaupunkt, Sony, and a few others I can't remember right now. I can't recommend any for you as I've all but abandoned CDs in the vehicles and use my phone for navigation (Android Auto with the double din in the Expedition, phone holder in the panthers).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I Personally like the Kenwood, JVC and Sony stereos. Important to me with any model is being able to SEE the controls. Some of the units have remotes. That is one thing I like about factory units. I can see what I am doing.
      On the newer units,I have to break out the manual and follow the instructions to do stuff.

Comment

I second Sony stereos. I've got a single DIN in my '88 that I put in many years ago but it checked all of my boxes at that time: Five band equalizer, High & low pass filters, HD radio, customizable colors (it's white with the lights off, green with them on), legacy style buttons and just overall easy to navigate & use. It's a biotch when I unplug it though, resetting everything sucks. Not sure what is available now though.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I had a Pioneer AVIC Z140 in my 04. Great unit. Navigation was decent and sound quality great as well.

You should be able to find some deals used now as it’s quite a few years old now.

If you don’t need CD there are many low cost options that support Apple Car Play / Android Auto.

As for the speakers pretty sure it’s 6x8 all around. You can get 6x9s in the rear deck with some finesse. Aren’t all 2010 TCs equipped with the Soundmark system with sub? You’ll probably need some adapters to tap into the amps for that. Check with Crutchfield for your options even if you don’t buy from them.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

tjc78
            Yes it does have the Soundmark system. I don't know about the sub. I would have to check it out, to confirm. I got the car for free from a customer 2 years ago. It was a fleet car for a limousine company, that I used to service from time to time, when I worked at my last job.
            MIKE

Comment

Ok guys, I'm opening this back up, as I now remember why I started it in the first place. I was driving along to NYC, and the radio shut off and reset itself to factory. It's not the first time it has happened. There have also been a few times where I'm driving with the radio OFF, and it will come on by itself at factory reset. I'm leaning towards the radio itself, but as always, am open to suggestions/recommendations.

MIKE

Comment

Radio itself, involving the power wires/connections/solder joints on the main board in the radio. That's the most likely issues in this case.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Sly,
                  The stereo itself was my thought, too. I will probably replace it with the same unit, as the aftermarket stuff is just too far out of my price range right now. I'm in the middle of refurbishing my house, and there is just no extra money. Especially since the Kenwood unit, that has everything I want is around 1,200 dollars.
                  MIKE

Comment

Yeah. I have no problems taking things apart like that and looking for cracked solder joints. A little heat and fresh dab of solder goes a long way for stuff like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X