2011 Crown Victoria police interceptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 Crown Victoria police interceptor

Im thinking about buying a crown vic police interceptor, but I noticed it doesn't have a radio, would i have to buy just a radio and simply plug it in or would the harness have to be fixed up as well, keep in mind that the car is from the police auction.
    Thanks for any help in advance.

It would depend on how badly they hacked the harness upon removal. Could be a simple plug and play, could be a nightmare. Pics of it?
    '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
    formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

Hope you buy it cheap. Many of those squad cars are beat to death. I stay away from marked units, high mileage city cars and anything rusted or with trashed interiors. Look at the wiring. When they getting ready for auction,people just cut wires all over. If some of the rear lights don't work, the harness along the right scuff plates may be cut.
      The radio harness more than likely is intact. Departments put other equipment in front of the radio and don't want officers listening to the music radio when on duty.
      The worst patrol cars I have ever seen at auction were LAPD marked units.

Comment

Local PD just removes the radio and uses the spot for a lighting controller, original radio harness is left intact. With a cop car, you never know whats been done though, always expect the worst.

Comment

I have an '08 P71 that had no radio when I bought it. The old unit was simply unplugged; I built an adapter harness and installed an aftermarket head unit, but the factory unit could have been reinstalled (if I had it).

For the record, a lot of people talk down on patrol cars, but I have owned a lot of old police cars and never had one that was a problem. Cosmetically they are usually rough, but if you are buying a running and driving car, it was fleet maintained and probably just retired for miles/ hours. Yeah they pick stuff off here and there, but its not like they intentionally beat them before sending them to auction.

My dad bought my '08 at auction for $450; $495 with commission. It had 95% tires, working A/C, and red transmission fluid. 140K, and ~4600 idle hours. I had to change the exhaust manifolds, but otherwise just went through the car. I've been driving it for nearly (3) years, and 70K miles, and its never let me down. I'm sure it has stories; the engine and tranny oil pans are dented badly, front cross member is all scarred up, etc. But it runs down the road as well if not better than most new stuff I drive. Don't fear the old police cars; they can handle it.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I'd be a lot more concerned about buying an ex-taxi CVPI than an ex-police one. I've seen those in the yards, and if you think old patrol cars are beat, just have a look at a fleet of ex-cop ex-taxi cars.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              I'd be a lot more concerned about buying an ex-taxi CVPI than an ex-police one. I've seen those in the yards, and if you think old patrol cars are beat, just have a look at a fleet of ex-cop ex-taxi cars.
              I don't think you can't find any more " beat up" than that. Next step...crusher.
              In some cities it mandated how old a taxi can be before it has to be taken out of service in that city. NYC cab companies put the out of service cabs on car carriers and straight to the scrapper, unless they are privately owned.

Comment

Yes fleet maintained vehicles are a real plus. Some departments are real pros with maintenance. Others not so much. Take home cars are normally well taken care of. I have bought many LE cars . Got to look them over carefully. When the cars go to auction, some are real nice, some are toilets. With many, wires have been cut without any care. Department "pool" cars are the worst. Anyone who needs a car drives them, no one is accountable for abuse. Buyer,do your due diligence.

Comment

Working...
                X