GT40 heads and PCM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GT40 heads and PCM

Since I have an 89 Colony Park 5.0 and a 90 Town Car 5.0 the GT40 head swap has interested me.

If I want to retain the majority of system functions, which Lincoln Mark 7 PCM do I need for each car?

If I install GT40 heads, proper fuel injectors (19lb or 17lb iirc), with PCM and associated wiring changes - am I going to see an increase in performance ?
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

D9S is the catch code I remember; 88-92 Mark VII I think. That will keep cruise on the 89. The 90 - I am not sure since it's an odd baby.

You need a cam change as well, and the larger TB. No wiring changes needed though at least on the 89. .

No personal experience here, but the Mark ECM may not like the GT heads. But it should be close enough. If you change the intake to GT also, and depending on your cam as well, you may consider a Mass Air conversion. I would at that point.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

You would have to swap the cam too. D9S is a plug and play (no wiring changes needed if using an HO cam). GT40 heads are hit or mis without going mass air. If you keep stock size TB it seems to work, but using a larger (re: lightning) TB/EGR spacer, you will need mass air to get it to work. The firing order for the lopo is different from the HO/explorer firing order hence the need for the cam swap. Rewiring the injectors doesn't help since the O2s will try to trim wrong as a bank will be split half and half side to side at that point and may end up causing one side rich and one side lean. Not a good thing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ugh. Now I wonder if I should find a 96-early 97 GT40 motor from an exploder or mountaineeze.

So grabbing GT40 heads is clearly not enough from the junkyard.

From readings sounds like I need the lower and upper too?

Sorry I'm getting HO and GT40 confused on what's needed for what.
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

Comment

If using the same block... swap heads and cam. I think you can still use an HO intake with GT40 heads and that would probably allow you to keep speed density with the D9S computer and have it all be plug and play. If you go full tubular explorer intake, you'll probably have issues with it running (though a few have had no issues) and need to switch to mass air (A9P or similar) but this would lose cruise control capability as that's built into the ECM on the 89. Not so sure about the 90 TC as that is it's own special mess of electrical stuff because Lincoln.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You can go independent cruise control module. Its not the end of the world. Its like 6 wires or something. 90s cars have a suitable module. I've also been told that the later electric servos also contain the appropriate controller amongst their guts so its just a matter of power, buttons, and VSS connections. Don't hold me to that one, but I know that the standard cruise module from a mid 90s panther will work just ducky if you hook it up.

Otherwise +1 on the rest of it. Not honestly a fan of doing a full top end overhaul with the block in the car if only because its hell on your back. Doesn't let you re-seal the bottom end of the block, paint it, or clean the engine bay either. I have done heads with the block in the car, and it sucks. The cam can be done, but also annoying. Radiator and condensor have to move out of the way for clearance. I honestly think its less bothersome to pick up another motor, prep it, and just swap it in.
            Last edited by gadget73; 12-30-2016, 12:46 AM.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've been running a 96 GT-40 motor out of an Explorer in a 91 CV for several years now. And I have been using a D9S PCM to run it from day one with no problems!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                You can go independent cruise control module. Its not the end of the world. Its like 6 wires or something. 90s cars have a suitable module. I've also been told that the later electric servos also contain the appropriate controller amongst their guts so its just a matter of power, buttons, and VSS connections. Don't hold me to that one, but I know that the standard cruise module from a mid 90s panther will work just ducky if you hook it up.
                Same cruise brain can be obtained from a diesel truck as well, the older IDI-powered ones for sure have it. The electric cruise servos pretty sure still need a brain too, but they will work fine with the stand-alone brain - too tired right now to verify that bit, maybe after I've had some sleep I'll be motivated enough to look up some wiring diagrams to figure this shit out.

Also another vote for pulling the engine for this work. Heads are just annoying to do inframe, and headers can be a damn nightmare especially if one gets the kind with the fat runners. Really everything is just so much easier when the chicken is on the rotisserie...
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                  I've been running a 96 GT-40 motor out of an Explorer in a 91 CV for several years now. And I have been using a D9S PCM to run it from day one with no problems!
                  Yea I think I'll just do this. Get a motor from a 96 for under 500.

Course if I could get a whole car that would be even better so I can test drive it and see.
                  -Nick M.
                  Columbia, SC

Comment

Slightly on topic, has anyone here ever done a write up on using and wiring a stand alone cruise control module? Pinouts, donor vehicles, etc?
                    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I've done it, but there was no writeup. Basically we had an EVTM from my 86 and a module and put it together.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Guessing there's a blank out plate or a hole to use for distributor in Exploder block?
                        -Nick M.
                        Columbia, SC

Comment

Yeah they got a cam position sensor or something in the distributor hole.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yep, pull the sensor and the distributor drops into the hole.

Comment

If you do this be sure to use a 96 engine from an Explorer.
                              Specially if you're on a budget, the 97 will be harder to deal with. And Lincoln logs are the way to go for the exhaust.
                              Just my

Comment

Working...
                              X