Valve covers with TrickFlow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve covers with TrickFlow

So I ran into a problem with my engine install. My tall valve covers not only hit the plastic firewall piece on the drivers side, but they hit the A/C compressor. The edges of the TrickFlow head are raised, and I learned I can probably run short valve covers and they will clear the roller rockers, however I will have to remove the baffles to do so. I’ll probably have crazy oil consumption through the PCV if I do this... I’m not sure what to do. I need some “medium” size covers... any ideas??
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Spacers exist, but... more gaskets needed. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ansen...ers,35302.html

Comment

prob have to be looking for stuff designed to fit under a stock EFI upper manifold. All of the carb ones are on the tall side. Cheapest option with a lot of room inside is actually the lopo steel covers. Same ones used on the Cobra actually. If you use a lopo cover on the right side and the Explorer cover with the fill nipple on the left you'd have a fill and air intake on one side and you can figure a way to install a PCV valve in the open nipple on the other side. May have to get creative and make up an internal baffle or something to screen out the oil but you'd at least have a raised area to work with instead of having to get into the rockers.

and no that won't look sexy at all but it should function.

I run 85 Mustang covers on mine. Not real tall, and they clear my roller rockers with no internal mods. Maybe that would work? Those were meant to have PCV in the fill cap, and the caps were usually stuffed with coarse stainless wool to act as an oil sep. I'm using it as an air return since my PCV is at the back of the intake.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I ran into the exact same issue as you. Unfortunately I was given the same options and I opted to cut my wiper box. That was after I had already smashed the wiper motor during the 1st engine install attempt. I didn't have to worry about the AC compressor though. Wouldn't Explorer valve covers with spacers work with those heads and 1.7 ratio rockers? I was thinking of going that route as an alternative.

Comment

explorer covers are almost identical to stock lopo ones, except the fill neck is kind of goofy. I'd keep the original ones before swapping to explorer parts unless you had very specific need to.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So, I should probably put lopo valve covers on my junkyard shopping list.

Comment

Some good information, thanks guys.

I ordered these:_ https://www.ecklers.com/valve-covers...0-17134-1.html
              They should be slightly higher than 85 mustang covers, and have a unique baffle design. If the baffle doesn’t fit I can make my own inside the tube that goes up to the oil fill/PCV area. I’m hoping I can make them work. I will report back
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Those are nice! You can always plumb a catch can as well; if you don't mind emptying it out every once in a while.

Comment

Working...
                X