Lmr 130 amp kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lmr 130 amp kit

I know its not the cheapest option, but late model restoration makes an alternator conversion kit. It comes with a large guage wire n stuff. Its shows up as a kit for the 88-93 foxbody. Any thaughts on if this will work on a panther?

I can't imagine it not working (I assume its a 3G) is this it: https://lmr.com/item/SVE-17046K2/Mus...aAjvUEALw_wcB?

The wires might not be the right length though- hard to tell. That being said you could make this kit for $100 or more less
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Sweet. So my 88 has an aftermarket security system thing with remote trunk and remote start. The remote start works every time on the second crank. Im hoping a 3g and high torque mini starter Will do the trick.

Comment

That 82 ltd is awesome. What cam did you go with? That mavrick must be fun to drive.

Comment

Like was mentioned it can work but certain components of the kit will likely not work for you....like the wire length.

I purchased a similar kit from LMR for my fathers 85 Mustang GT. I was happy with what money was spent.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

For my '88 TC, I just used the alternator wiring from a '93 or so Continental, complete with it's fusible links. It went from the stud on the starter solenoid up along the core support, down along the driver's side frame rail and up to the 3G alternator no problem. If I did it again, I'd probably splice two of those Conti harnesses together so I can make run up to the alternator like the factory harness does, from the washer/coolant overflow bottle area. I also left the 2G charge wires in place, zero issues and back then, I drove the shit out of that car. Garage queen now.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I have used the power wire kit before. It is plenty of wire to reach on a box. The battery and alternator connections are the same distance apart between the fox and the panther. They don't seem to just list a 2g-3g kit anymore, which would cover everything you'd need for the swap including wiring and the pigtails. Realistically you can use a 98 Taurus 3.0 ohv 130 amp alternator and get the same results. You will need to slightly enlarge the lower mounting hole in the alternator to allow your bolt to fit through, and the upper mount you will use a different bolt, with a nut and washer. You may have to use a slightly longer bolt to fit the pulley. You will need a charge cable. I would strongly recommend this, as it will easily support the extra output that the alternator can make. You can utilize the stock charge wires too if you so choose. Just cut the ends off and add the ring terminals and you'll be good to go. The 2g regulator plug is the same as the 3g. You will just need the stator pigtail.

Comment

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-17046K2/Mus...rade-87-93-50L nvm I found it. That will all work. Or you can piece it together.

Comment

I keep meaning to tap the top hole in the alternator so I don't need to use the nut and bolt. I converted the alternator like 15 years ago, so maybe by 2040 I'll have gotten around to doing it. My luck as soon as I tap the thing it will fail.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    I keep meaning to tap the top hole in the alternator so I don't need to use the nut and bolt. I converted the alternator like 15 years ago, so maybe by 2040 I'll have gotten around to doing it. My luck as soon as I tap the thing it will fail.
                    It is a nice touch doing it that way. I did it on my initial install and dont regret it. Makes getting the proper tension a tad easier.
                    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The kit came in today. Looks great in black. The alternator itself looks huge. Have you guys tried the high torque mini starters? Im also thinking about a reserve battery in the trunk like modern cop cars..

Comment

Cool. you got the black one.

I have the mini starter on mine from LMR.
                        ~David~

Comment

whenever mine barfs I'll swap to the small starter.
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I put a ministarter on the 88 MGM I had when that starter died. Just a parts store special for a 91.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The chunker starter on it was put on like 2 days before Scottfest 2005.

Comment

Working...
                              X