Intake replacement time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake replacement time!

It appears that my 03 LX Sport has developed some leaks on the intake. So while I'm doing this, does anyone have any suggestions on what else to replace while I'm in there? I already plan on replacing both heater hoses and the coolant pipe from the water pump, and thermostat. Far as I can tell everything is OEM from '03 on it. And no, I won't be replacing the main rad. hoses at this time as they are still in good shape. Coolant was flushed last year so that is good as well.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

The only things that come to mind at the moment are a ported and polished plenum and a 70mm throttle body.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
      It appears that my 03 LX Sport has developed some leaks on the intake. So while I'm doing this, does anyone have any suggestions on what else to replace while I'm in there? I already plan on replacing both heater hoses and the coolant pipe from the water pump, and thermostat. Far as I can tell everything is OEM from '03 on it. And no, I won't be replacing the main rad. hoses at this time as they are still in good shape. Coolant was flushed last year so that is good as well.
      When you flushed the cooling system and refilled it with coolant-antifreeze mixture did you use tap water or distilled water?
      2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I always use distilled water in my cooling systems.
        These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Anyone have the bolt torque specs for the intake and a diagram of the tightening sequence?

Comment

Anyone have the bolt torque specs for the intake and a diagram of the tightening sequence?
            This may help double check it works for your year car http://www.autorepairinstructions.co...take-manifold/

I am not sure how far along you are on this project, I started to watch the videos in the link I provided and have not finshed watching them yet.

The guy seems knowledgeable enough yet I am more cautious when doing this type of work. I like to clean my engine and engine bay as good as i can before starting a job like this.

Then I like to have the car running and disable the fuel pump which is as easy as smacking the inertia switch or finding and removing a fuel pump relay or fuse to purge any fuel pressure before starting the job.

I also would make sure to cover any opening on the old and new intake where anything could get dropped in the engine, this guys video has him blowing off intake around the injectors while he has the throttle body off and the intake wide open. LOL I am sure it is hard to think of everything while trying to make a video.

A few other things I would have done differentley than the guy in the video is to make sure each bolt hole for the intake is perfectley clean and I would clean the bolts plus add a little anti seize to the threads or thread sealant if any of the holes are not blind holes.

He could have taken a few minutes to vac out the area under the intake plus clean it up some.

I like to use dow 111 or simular o-ring lube to any of the seals to insure a good seal

As far as the intake replacement I would go all in on a good all alluminum replacement but I am sure the updated plastic with alluminum coolant runner may be just fine.

My injectors, coils, plugs, heater hoses thermostate would get replaced while I was doing this work just because I had most of it out anyways.

Anyways I wrote this to help anyone doing this work and reading this post I am sure you know what you are doing and may consider this advice common sense.

Good luck with the project
            Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 03-07-2018, 07:43 AM.
            2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Yes, I do. Here you go...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IntakeTorque.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1283157

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks sly! One question though, is this the most updated one from Ford? Reason I ask is I found a different pattern that was said to be an updated one.

Comment

probably not. it's from the 2004 production DVD service manuals.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Thank you for checking. The one I found was from 2017 so that's why I was asking. Has the same torque rating but a different pattern.

Comment

post it if you can... I'd like to take a look at it.

Comment

I'll post it tonight when I get home.

Comment

Will you be using a new Ford intake? If so, would you mind checking a couple of things for me when you get around to it? I'm planning on doing an NPI to PI swap eventually and got a couple of used PI ones from U-pull yards since new ones are too expensive to get in Canada. The heat seems to mess them up even at relatively low mileage.

1. When I hold a flat edge across the four air intake ports on each side, I find the center is high, so that the flat edge rocks from end to end. When the intake sits on the heads, that would mean the middle part is in contact first, and the ends stick up until torqued down. Since the torque pattern is basically a matter of starting in the middle and workout outwards, I'm wondering if the new ones are actually made with that bow or whether it's a heat effect.

2. I also find that the edges of the individual air intake ports tend to bulge out. I'm figuring there's something funky going on with the plastic when in use. Can you check if they're perfectly flat on a new one?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Here is the diagram I found. Let me know which one I should use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fordintakemanifoldto.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1283158

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                              Will you be using a new Ford intake? If so, would you mind checking a couple of things for me when you get around to it? I'm planning on doing an NPI to PI swap eventually and got a couple of used PI ones from U-pull yards since new ones are too expensive to get in Canada. The heat seems to mess them up even at relatively low mileage.

1. When I hold a flat edge across the four air intake ports on each side, I find the center is high, so that the flat edge rocks from end to end. When the intake sits on the heads, that would mean the middle part is in contact first, and the ends stick up until torqued down. Since the torque pattern is basically a matter of starting in the middle and workout outwards, I'm wondering if the new ones are actually made with that bow or whether it's a heat effect.

2. I also find that the edges of the individual air intake ports tend to bulge out. I'm figuring there's something funky going on with the plastic when in use. Can you check if they're perfectly flat on a new one?
                              Yep, brand new Ford Racing PI intake. I set my 4ft. level across both sides of the air intake ports and there is about a 1/16" of a gap from end to end so it can rock a bit but might as well be perfectly flat as far as I'm concerned. The gasket will have no issue sealing that up. The only place that it seemed to have a larger one was at the coolant crossover. It did have about an 1/8" gap at that point if I laid it across all the runners and the crossover.

I looked at the inner edges of the ports and they all seem straight. Not sure what you're looking for there. Tell you what, let me finish up dinner and whatnot and I'll grab it and take a few pics for you. One showing the flat edge on it and then another of the ports in general. Visual might help on this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X