Amp Gauge hookup????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp Gauge hookup????

Anybody have a wiring diagram to hook up an amp gauge in a car? I know how to hook up a volt gauge.. but not sure about hooking up an amp gauge... Found this on the internet... does this look right.. and the lead from the "Electrical loads and alternator".. where does that hook up.. at the alternator, or can it be hooked up to a constant hot terminal on the fuse block??

This is for my '84.... Maybe someone has the wiring diagram for the '84 showing the optional gauge package for the police car???

Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

If I'm not mistaken, this would go between all those terminals on the starter relay's battery side and the battery. Essentially, you'd take all the ring terminals off the starter relay, run them to a single fat cable up to the ammeter, then run another fat cable back from the ammeter to the starter relay. The only thing then not running through the meter is the starter itself. I don't really like these things myself. I'm sure someone must make an ammeter that has the shunt located remotely so you don't have to run massive cables up through the car. You'd only need thin wires to show the small drop across the resistor.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget is correct. all teh power is routed through the ammeter, except for the starter circuit. You would need some good size cables. I got an ammeter, and I still haven't hooked it up, just because what it involves lol
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

The heck with that... I'll go with a volt gauge... ALOT simpler to put in!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Why You Should Use A Volt Meter

Comment

Gauges...

Well. the reason I was thinking of an amp gauge is.. it was original equipment... back before volt guages became popular... BUT, since one of the gauges in the gauge set isn't original anyway... I guess i'll just get a new set, and install them in the dash cluster...

Comment

Working...
            X