Belt Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belt Replacement

Hey guys still in the process of fixing this old girl up, it needs the belts replaced at least I hope that's all it needs cause it made a lot of chirping and almost screeching noise last few weeks, and I tried using some belt dressing but I think I only made it worse cause now the belts are gunked up and sticky so...time to swap them. Here's my question what's the easiest procedure to do this because my 87 has two belts I'm not sure when they did that but I thought my old 86 only had one big main one. The way this is set up though it looks like I'd have to remove the fan to feed the belts over the pulleys cause the fan and fan shroud are in the way. Please help me understand this lol.

If it helps; my motor set up is the alternator, power steering, and water pump are on drivers side, the passenger side has the ac, air pump and whatever other pulleys to control...
    Last edited by TwiztidRat; 12-10-2020, 09:29 PM.

That’s a normal setup. You have to install the ac belt first and no you don’t have to remove the fan just go around it. It’s just like any other car really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

belt fishes around the fan. It doesn't come off.

upper and lower bolt loosen on the alternator for that one. For the AC side there is a bolt facing forward just under the AC compressor and one in the rear you have to fish under the compressor to loosen so it will move. Square hole in the tensioner fits a 1/2" ratchet to tension the belt.

Spin the pullies, make sure nothing is scratchy. The tensioner tends to get rough and make a lot of noise, same with the alternator.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So the passenger side belt than driver side? Sorry I feel like an idiot but normally with cars I never had to work around the fan or anything all the pulleys were right in plain sight, but than again I'm use to working on motors from the 2000s and up so this is different.

Also as far as the tensioner is the square hole facing toward the firewall then? Cause from what I saw there is no hole or bolt sticking out of any pulley from looking at it from the front view. I can send a pic tomorrow but I know about loosening the alternator so that belt should be easy now that I know it just fishes around the fan..
        Last edited by TwiztidRat; 12-11-2020, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Yes, the ac belt is on the rear so it’s the last one to remove the first to install.

The hole on the tensioner is on the front near the pulley itself. You might have to feel around for it.

Comment

Dont be afraid to start the car up without any belts and listen for any strange noises. May aid in finding out your issue.

Like was mentioned alternator belt replacement requires loosening the upper alt bolt and the lower alt bolt.

The Ac belt requires you to loosen up the bolt behind the tensioner (think under ac compressor from behind..PITA). I would also crack loose the 4 o'clock position ac compressor bolt.

Below you can see the 4 o'clock bolt and the square drive just to the right of it and almost hidden by the belt

Here you can see the pivot for the back bolt of the tensioner:

You just work the belts out by spinning the fan and fishing it out...same for reinstall.

Goodluck.

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yes thank you! This is what I needed to know, that tensioner pulley I thought had the square hole or bolt sticking right out of the front of the actually pulley part not on the side of the housing that's why I was confused. I started the car without the belts on and it's quiet as a mouse but if the pulleys aren't spinning aside from bad belts it can also still be one of the pulleys so I'll check them tomorrow when it's light out and hopefully find out it's just the belts. Removing them was easy I just cut the damn things off since they were junk anyways lol.

Comment

So guys it's pretty cold here today so waiting till it warms up a tad before I throw my belts on, I noticed all the pulleys are fine, but the power steering pulley had a bit of play is that normal or could it be causing the noise? I'll obviously know either way once I put the belts on but just a little knowledge before hand would be cool.

Comment

Normal for that to have some in/out movement.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thank you gadget relieved to find that out.

Comment

So I put the alternator belt on at least and everything is still quiet so that's good, how necessary is it though for the ac belt to be put on? I know it works the air pump but my brakes seem fine and the climate still works. Is it even necessary at this point? Besides the motor running rich the car wouldn't be driven much at all though. If it will hurt it I guess is my question.

Comment

You can run it with that belt off and it won’t hurt anything. It won’t run rich either, the system doesn’t work like that.

Comment

Thanks man yeah I just found that out, it seems to only effect the cats but nothing really with the motor so that's cool. She's good to go again now time to get different tires for her lol.

Comment

air pump has nothing to do with the brakes. Its emissions stuff. AC also won't work, which to me is a much bigger tragedy. I lost the air pumps years ago but the AC is a hard requirement.

Comment

if you run the car in winter having working AC clears the windshield faster. Also the AC gets run in the winter which is better ten letting it sit.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X