Fancypants OTC code reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fancypants OTC code reader

I'm kind of feeling like expanding my tool collection, even if not exactly required. Anyone have an OTC OBD1 code reader hanging around they'd part with for not too much?

Preference towards OTC Monitor 4000 with case, full assortment of cables and at least the domestic cartridges.

US and Canadian shipping addresses available; payment via PayPal.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hand-tool/ma...ationFlag=true

Even has the basic ford code reader in the box. Don't know how telling that might be of the 4000 ford obdi capability...

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
      https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hand-tool/ma...ationFlag=true

Even has the basic ford code reader in the box. Don't know how telling that might be of the 4000 ford obdi capability...

Alex.
      Yes, I saw this. However it looks like it might be short on some of the cables (not sure, the one pic is super blurry). Price is definitely right.

I also noticed the Innova code reader (beeper + LED), which is the same one I currently have and use, and wondered the same...

Called the guy, asked if it had the stuff to use it on "80s Fords" and he said yes...and is also willing to ship it. Might go this route.

Should mention that I'd also like it to have the OBDII stuff (these scanners appear to be capable of doing the early generic OBDII codes at least, when equipped properly). I don't have such a vehicle to use it on, but if I'm forking over the cash, might as well gain the capability.

Since OTC made a vast majority of the Ford Rotunda tools, there's a pretty good chance that these scanners are at least a slight bit related to the Ford-branded units.
      Last edited by kishy; 05-27-2018, 03:29 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

And there is a chance it might be a bit more capapable.
        I saw another ad on kijiji, think it was kitchener, and you probably saw it if you saw this scanner but it was a bunch of cables for the scanner, definately had the ford connector, didn't pay much heed to the other connectors (which may have been obdI mopar, gm and a few others.
        Just checked my history, genisys cables for forty bucks;
        https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-other/l...ationFlag=true

Alex.

Comment

That fellow in Toronto you linked above Alex was selling both a Monitor 4000E and an Enhanced Monitor (the latter of which can also do early OBD2 stuff). I checked and had a friend who was traveling to Toronto, and he was willing to make the purchase, so I grabbed both for a package price.

Figured I'll play with them both a bit, but it looks like the Enhanced Monitor is the better unit overall, so that's likely what I'll keep. I can then try to resell what I don't opt to keep for myself.

Getting both seemed like the safer choice to ensure the maximum number of cartridges and cables would be included, in case he may have had an incomplete set of cables for one.

Interestingly it's possible to put the 4000E into STAR mode (STAR being the official Ford tester), which dumbs down the operation to behave like the Ford tester, without the OTC flow chart/step-by-step.
          Last edited by kishy; 06-07-2018, 09:13 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

I think I have star tester at home. Its some type of ford tester from the dealership.

This is very similar to what I have:

Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-08-2018, 03:04 PM. Reason: added picture
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The Star II will also pull air suspension and ABS codes from pre-OBD2 Ford stuff in addition to the EEC codes.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good deal Kishy. And nice and quick find.

The NGS is the star tester I usually think of;

Alex.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by GM_Guy; 06-10-2018, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I think the NGS will pull live data off the later generation EEC-IV processors.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It will.

Comment

Not completely sure yet, but I believe the Enhanced Monitor can do the same (it can for GM and Chrysler, anyway). It can also do ABS and apparently that weird Carter-sourced idle speed control system my Ranger has, but I'm not sure about the air suspension. The communication isn't exactly complex though.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

Be great if it does.
                        In vintage tools, the snap on "red brick" was the last snap on that could do live data on my '89. And the Mac tools equivalent for the time period can't do live data either. Current snap-on, no idea, but I got a feeling that they just dropped the support with the red brick.

Alex.

Comment

I was under the impression that the EEC-IV in our cars (through 91) was not capable of live data via the diagnostic connector, and you had to do a mass air, HO, etc. swap to get one of the ECMs capable of it.

But I do not remember why I was under that impression and I therefore may be quite wrong.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

Thats my understanding of it as well. I think its the 3 digit error code ECMs that will give live data.

Comment

Limited data is present. The Snap-on red brick showed me O2 sensor live data. The data is there, problem is finding things that are capable of reading it. But again, it is limited, nothing like live data on todays cars.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X