No announcement yet.

Adjust those rear brakes!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just adjusted mine on my camaro, and once i got the drum off i could see a punch out for that adjust slot. punched them out, greased it up, and tightened them till i could hardly get the drum back on. after i go for a test ride im going to adjust them a bit more

Comment

If its close, you can put the car in reverse and pump the pedal a few times. That should adjust them if the self-adjuster system is working. It won't get them quite as tight, but having excessive drag will only wear the pads out to the point where they stop contacting the drum,
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

stupid question here...if they are drum brakes why are you guys calling them pads....arent they called brake shoes on drum brakes???
        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

gadget im sure had a slip of the typing fingers... I do that too sometimes.
          Turbo was referring to the raised areas of the backing plate that the shoes rest on as 'pads'. There are the areas you see with black grease on them in the picture.

Last edited by 85crownHPP; 06-22-2006, 12:20 AM.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

yeah, shoes is the correct term for the friction materials in a brake drum assembly. I knew what I meant I swear!!
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I used to rivet pads to the brake shoes or was it linings when I owned an auto machine shop. Call them anything if they dont work it might not matter anymore to someone. I would rather it stop than start.
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
              X