Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BRAKES - Drum how-to (tools, cylinders, shoes and hardware)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BRAKES - Drum how-to (tools, cylinders, shoes and hardware)

re-did my drum brakes thanks to the groundhog and the old man - heres some info!

return spring tool - press this over the post and twist to remove the spring

hold down spring tool - again push and twist

misc spring tool - slip the end over the spring arm, twist in to lock the tool onto the spring. much easier than using side cutters or pliers!!!

my wheel cylinder came out with a 1/2" on the bolts, and a 7/16" line wrench on the line.

lube!
    also lube the threads and cap on the star adjuster

tada!
    drum brakes require patience - many parts to remeber where they go, and as you re-assemble, the shoes like to shift around on you while you set the springs, and can cuase other parts to fall out of place and raise your blood pressure.

adjust them up - more info on this here

Last edited by 85crownHPP; 07-26-2006, 10:54 PM.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Pete, where did you get the springs and the clips from, is there a kit for them?

Comment

Excellent writeup!
      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

dont forget to check the backing plate for grooves from the brake shoes, and make sure the parking brake cables arent stuck on........also check your rear brake hose.......they go bad from age
        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Ivan - I got all the parts from napa - they listed everything except the one spring that keeps the large bar spanning both shoes tight.
          The spring kit came seperate from the adjusting parts (star wheel, lever, cable and guide) but they werent much. I think (with my shop discount) all the hardware you see for both sides was about 35 bucks (not including shoes and cylinders). just the spring kit was 15-20 bucks. Id at least get the cable & guide too becuase Ive seen a lot of broken cables and guides with broken shoe lips - the part that centers them in the shoe hole.
          Last edited by 85crownHPP; 06-19-2006, 04:13 PM.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I watched Eric do the drums on my car, since I had never done them before, man...you weren't kidding about the patience part. The drum brake tool made things a lot easier though, I couldn't imagine trying to do it without.

Good write-up.

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
            302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
            '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
            '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

After LOTS of practice and a brake pliers, I find rear brakes to be easy, if you do one side at a time, using the other side as a visual aide..
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                After LOTS of practice and a brake pliers, I find rear brakes to be easy, if you do one side at a time, using the other side as a visual aide..
                :stupid: but I just use Vice Grips
                2000 Grand Marquis LS
                2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                Mercury Owners Group member
                Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Working...
                X