alt wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alt wiring

I have to pick up a new alt for my '88 GM. This one isn't charging very well and it's over ten years old. The last alt I bought was a month ago for the CV. I got it from CarQuest and I found that it had the large plug wired in with about four inches worth of wires coming off of it. I had to snip the wires on the old plug and splice them. Is this common or should I just request one that will take the factory plug? Does it even matter?

Use the new plug. The old ones have a tendancy to catch on fire...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Thanks, man.

Comment

Yea, the one on my '88 GM went up on my way home from SF last year. Scott doesn't even remember fixing it, too much xxx or somethin.
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

get a 3ag monty.........the 65 amp stockers are garbage..........replaced 4 alt's on the lss in 5 years........seen too many altenator fires fromthose pos's
          the stock altenator wiring is also crap.......superlinc and nates vic got a rewire job, so no worries about wiring fires

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Scott, what gauge wire should I use to for the one that goes to the stator that has the fuse? Which terminal on the stator does it hook to? Does the regulator wiring harness plug right in?

LINK to old thread.
            Last edited by monterey1962; 06-26-2006, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I went with the 65 amp this time. Mainly due to the fact that it was on hand and cheaper. I'll upgrade another time. I noticed on the '91 GM that the alt is much larger and has wiring similar to the 3ag alt. Did '91's come with the 3ag or could this be a 100 amp alt? I'll try and get a pic.

Edit: The '91 has an external regulator, also.
              Last edited by monterey1962; 06-26-2006, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Crap. Even with the new alt, the '88 GM is still only running at 14 on my voltmeter. The battery is only one year old and is an Interstate brand.

Comment

14 isnt bad..thats actually normal...
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

13.8-14 is normal...when you're 12 and under, there is an issue
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962
                      I noticed on the '91 GM that the alt is much larger and has wiring similar to the 3ag alt. Did '91's come with the 3ag or could this be a 100 amp alt? I'll try and get a pic.

Edit: The '91 has an external regulator, also.
                      To add to this: Could it be possible that the '91 GM was sent from the factory with a 100amp alt because of the "windshield de-icer" option? When pushing that button, the engine is bogged down badly. I don't even use that option because I don't think it is the original windshield since it doesn't have the "golden tint" that those windshields were supposed to have and it obviously doesn't de-ice.

Comment

does the 91 have the instaclear windshield? if so that's why it has the 100 amp altenator

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I've got a problem. When I start the '88, the "amp" light comes on and she only charges at 12. I have to ride the gas a couple times to get the charge up. What should I look at first: the new alt or the 1yr old battery?

Comment

Where did you get the alternator? If you got it from AutoZone, it's possible it's defective. AutoZone is infamous for that. My friend had to replace the alternator in his Chevy Astro 3 times. I thought it was because it was a Chebby but the alternators were defective.
                            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Got it at CarQuest. When the car is running, the needle will go up to 14, do a sudden drop to below 12 and sit there, jump back to 14, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X