alt wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monterey1962
    Ran to the stereo shop and got 8ga. wire, 80amp fuse, and fuse holder. Had to drop $37 for it all. Ouch.
    Just for future reference...buy your wire from a welding supply shop, its much cheaper. 4 gauge is $3/foot at stereo shops versus $1/foot at Princess Auto here.

Comment

How much drain should I expect with the fan blower on? It pulls the voltmeter down to 13 from about 14 when on high. The needle goes lower with the brakes and signal lights on after that. Otherwise, the new alt handles everything else alright with the fan off. Just seems that the blower fan pulls a lot of power.
      Last edited by monterey1962; 07-05-2006, 06:30 PM.

Comment

If you're at idle with everything on and its above 12 you're fine. Mine unloaded runs a bit over 14, and somewhere in thr 12.5-13 range with a bunch of crap turned on. You also have to consider your voltmeter is sampling voltage from somewhere in the fusebox (probably), so there is also some voltage drop across the wiring from the battery to the fuse box. If you check it direct at the battery, it will be slightly higher.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Monterey, if you dont mind me asking how much did the 3ag cost from car quest?
          People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

The 3G was $220.28 minus exchange of $75.71, so it was $144.57 when all said and done.

Comment

how excaclty did you wire it??? and is your battery dummy light functional?
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

In this pic you can see which wires go where on the back of the 3G alt. I ran an extra 8ga. wire to an 80amp fuse, then to the battery's positive terminal.

Yes, "amp" light is functional.

Comment

thats exactly the pic I cant make out.... the 3 light colored wires from the plug connector and the white stator wire dissapear into the wire loom.
                  The one black wire you can see coming off the main post dissapears under the wire loom.

it doesnt help at all!!!!!!!

specifically, which wire from the 3G gets connected to the battery warning light?
                  Last edited by 85crownHPP; 07-08-2006, 11:25 PM.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The two black wires that were on the original plug (which I snipped off) go onto the alt's post that has the 8ga. wire to the battery. That's all that is connected there. I don't know which wire is specifically for the warning light.

Comment

Working...
                    X