No announcement yet.

alt wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alt is toast. Take it back and get another. The one on my truck did something like that, the lights would pulse with the engine running and the voltmeter would steadily twitch back and forth. They tested it good, insisted that the alt was fine, and finally gave in and gave me a new one. New one doesn't make the lights flicker.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Second "new" alt is in and appears to be working well. I also got a new terminal for the positive battery cable and a battery hold down kit. Tarp straps just don't cut it.

Comment

was just gonna say defective altenator

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I had the battery and alt tested today down at Interstate Batteries. They show to be up at the proper charges (running and not running).

With the car in gear, a/c on, and brakes held, my voltmeter drops to twelve. It will bounce to just under 12 if the signal lights are on.

1. Is this normal? Will this be causing my headlights to dim at that low of charge?

2. What triggers the "amps" idiot light in the dash?

3. Would I have been better off just spending the money on the 3ag alt?

4. Is this the part where Scott tells me "I told you so?"?

Comment

It may not be the alternator. Could be dirty grounds.
            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

The original, old alt was working decent. I just messed with the '88 tonight. This alt is not charging well, at all. Headlights, signal lights, a/c, and brakes held take the voltmeter way below 12. I'm gonna run to CarQuest in the morning and just order the 3ag and be done with this.

Comment

'89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I should just listen to you guys from the start. Everytime I don't listen to save a few bucks it bites me in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                    the 3ag altenator is 130 amp...........the 95 mustang gt altenator fits our cars.......the altenator physically bolts in place of the stock 65 amp unit
                    some minor rewiring is required.......the regulator plug plugs right in to the 130 amp 3ag. you need to add a heavy wire to the battery with a 80 amp fuse (the stock altenator wiring barely handles the 65 amp altertenator) put a connector on the stator terminal and pluf into the 3ag, and put ring terminals on the other two heavy gauge wires and hook to the output stud on the 3ag.........took me less than an hour btw
                    Scott, what gauge wire did you use? Where the heck did you find the 80 amp fuse? I've been all over town and nobody has one.

Does that heavy wire connect to the alt on the same post as the other two wires? Where does it connect at the battery's end?

Btw, my 3ag alt will be here on Wednesday.
                    Last edited by monterey1962; 07-01-2006, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Stereo shops will have those fuses. Mine uses 8 guage wire I think. You can connect it either direct to the battery, or to the starter relay with the 583258 other wires if there is enough room. All the fat wires connect to the same terminal on the back of the alternator. Also, pull the split loom off the alternator wiring harness and make sure those wires aren't all melted together. If they are, just unplug that whole section of the harness at the connector on the fender and connect the white wire from the regulator plug directly to the terminal on the back of the alternator. Also, up the fuse to a 125 or 150 if you do that.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the info, man. I'll hook directly to the battery since I just put a new terminal on there. All the wiring looks good. Nothing is melted.

Ran to the stereo shop and got 8ga. wire, 80amp fuse, and fuse holder. Had to drop $37 for it all. Ouch.

Comment

3G alt is in and holding charge like it should when under load. The only real problem was getting the belt on the pulley. The bracket doesn't allow the alt to swing back like the stock alt.

Comment

very good! nice work mang!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

yea it's a bit tricky to get the altenator belt on.......i do mine with the bottom bolt out then line it up and install the bottom bolt with the belt already installed......i forgot about that.........may be able to use a 505k6 belt.......depends on how much adjustment you have

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                                i do mine with the bottom bolt out then line it up and install the bottom bolt with the belt already installed
                                That's exactly how I did mine. Belt didn't need too much snugging up, either.

Comment

Working...
                                X