"hisssing" sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"hisssing" sound?

whenever i put my 88 vic into gear from park, it makes a loud hissing sound that sounds like it coming from the steering column, usually when i go into drive.. but if i take it out of drive and put it into overdrive or neutral, then back to drive, it will stop.. any ideas? it's only getting worse and worse and louder, is it a vacuum leak or what's the deal? anyone ever heard of this problem before?

also, my valve covers are leaking oil badly, are they a job to fix? someone said i could just use gasket sealer instead of replacing the gasket, but the gaskets probably aren't too expensive, but are they hard to change?

Check your vacuum disengage switch for your parking brake. Its a horseshoe shaped white plastic piece at the bottom of the steering columb. It has two hoses hooked to it pul them off and block them. Not shure about how many hoses might need to just block one
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

what will be the end result if i block the two hoses or just one? will i not be able to release the parking break? or what are the purposes of vacuum lines going to the parking brake?

Comment

You just need to block 1. Your parking brake will no longer release automatically when you put it in gear.

Comment

My car has the auto disengage feature disconnected, pervious owner had the vacuum line plugged straight into the servo, as a result of which I could do some nice u-turns :evil: but my parking brake wouldn't stay engaged. I was debating whether I shall try to fix it, but opted for completely removing the servo, parking brake can now be disengaged only manyally through the pull handle. Not too much of a hassle though, I have a nice bright red light on the dash to remind me of that.

Comment

Mine amazingly works and does not hiss.

All of my previous boxes either had malfunctioning e-brakes anyway or they hissed like a mofo.
            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Ha!,Mine just started hissing LOUD on saturday.Time to go finally silence that damn thing.

Comment

Something to look out for when I get the beast running. Thanx.
                '03 300b MM (My pride and joy until 8/9/13 @129k)

Comment

Working...
                X