No announcement yet.

cheap drop coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heaver springs usaualy require less stiff sway bars. The lighter springs require stiffer bars.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I'm going to have to agree. That is probably too low man. You could do that if you have cut a coil off of like a 1150lb/in springs. So that you had a high enough spring rate to prevent bottoming out. But cutting a coil off the stock spring is no where near stiff enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks
        Yeah, 2" lower than my car too, and I thought mine 7.75" frame-to-pavement are low! Camber will change a lot with such a drop, as a result of which the outboard edge of the tires will wear out pretty fast.
        A sorter tire will not effect camber. Plues with the SLA suspension, lowering a vehicle does not change the camber as much as it wouldd on a strut suspension
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
          A sorter tire will not effect camber. Plues with the SLA suspension, lowering a vehicle does not change the camber as much as it wouldd on a strut suspension
          I am not speaking of a strut suspension spring over shock. I am speaking of the old Ford strut rod stuff with the lower I arm and rod runnig to the frame. There is a lot of stock car goodies for this kind of suspension. Known on the tracks as the Holman and Moody front suspension. Different length upper and lower arms, strut rods etc.

Comment

The 1000lb springs put the lower arm about perfectly level...

I bottomed my car (the 87 sedan) out with 26" tires and Moog HD replacement springs with PI/Taxi shocks...Lots of sparks.

And like Blaze said, you do not need huge swaybars with heavier springs. With a more appropriate spring rate, the car will have less roll. The bars are more for biasing under/oversteer then.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
              True on the tire, however did you see how his lower controls arms sit? And yes on the botoming problem, with near-stock springs and so short travel that can be a serious problem.

Comment

To short of a tire to tall, springs to short to long piviot points of the front suspension locations all effect handeling. You draw lines through these point to figure roll centers dive squat. If these lines dont intersect or propely intersect the design becomes flawed and it wont handle well at all or eat tires, bump steer, etc.

One thing the Mercs CV suspension realy needs is the ineer upper piviot dropped and inch or two. Done it on a few cars for the track its a real tear up. Done it on the old Mustangs its easy just drill some new holes. On a Merc alot of cutting torching fabrication.

Comment

Ive heard that cutting springs is not good. That the car will start to sag to one side cause the springs will settle...
                  R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                  Originally posted by MeanVic84
                  Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

New springs will settle, too...so that doesn't really make a good argument.
                    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by importssuck
                      Ive heard that cutting springs is not good. That the car will start to sag to one side cause the springs will settle...
                      Cutting springs is bad for several stupid reasons, not because it is really bad.

Cutting springs is considered bad because it is easy to cut too much off.
                      They are also considered bad because in the RICE community many people will cut their springs so much the shocks no longer work and they drive around without any shocks. This is very unsafe and makes turns questional to drive. While the ricer thinks his car handles better, his car is extremely suseptable to bouncing right off the road.

Comment

I cut the springs on my mustang. Took alot of time and only took off half a coil.

Generally most people take too much off and do it completey wrong.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I cut a half coil off of my Police springs, car sits too low for my application now, buty thats ok they are way too stiff anyway. They are porbalby gonna go under my 97 and im gonna stick the stock springs back in the 85s front.
                          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I havent had any problems with mine at all, it drives almost the same as it did before. I can let go of the steering wheel and the car with stay straight, even on somewhat crappy roads. It handles well with the low profile tires. I havent bottomed out on anything but a driveway where I was workin a week ago cause it was so steep.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                            My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Working...
                            X