Smog removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smog removal question

I went to finish removing the smog stuff today and had a question about one piece. There are two little sensors or something on the bracket behind what i think is the MAF. Below these sensors there are two vacuum hoses that go to the smog thing on the fender well. I just capped these hoses off, but can that entire unit be removed? What the hell is it anyways?

also, does anyone know what that lime green wire w/ a harness on it coming out of the firewall in the back of that pic is for?
    Last edited by FatNasty; 11-06-2009, 09:14 AM.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

those are TAB and TAD - they controll the divertor and bypass valves - the big honkin thing with the hoses going in and out (toss that too) you can remove them, block off thier vacuum source.
    enjoy your clean fenderwell!!!!!!!

this is before I cleaned up afterwards - I didnt remove mine, just relocated them and the map sensor

Last edited by 85crownHPP; 07-28-2006, 09:41 PM.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You can remove them, but it will set a code when you do a self test. Doesn't do much otherwise. If you leave them and cap the vacuum hoses you're fine.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just capped the hoses like you can see in the pic and left it. I might relocate it like pete did though. Does anyone know what that lime green wire w/ a harness coming out of the firewall in the background of that pic is for?

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
        1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

I want to say its a hood light - but I dunno. Check it out with a tester!
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Hood light would make sense, i dont have one so thats why it would be just the harness. I should pick up one next time i go to the junk yard. Thanks!

Comment

I believe a lotta people disconnect the hood and trunk light b/c of shorts, I know mine didnt have either (just the harnesses) when I bought it. I figure if thats the case just keep a flashlight in the glovebox.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

I am about 99% sure it is the hood light, cause my harness broke recently so I ripped it off.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

yeah, its the hood light, clips into that harnmess and grounds on the hood where it bolts on, use a flashlight, its easier
                  jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Hood lights are optional, so its possible it was not removed, rather it simply was never there.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I looked at my dealer brochure and there was a "light group" optional package for non LS models that included the engine compartment light, headlamp-on warning chimes, and dual beam dome lamp. My GM had none of these originally. I wont bother installing the engine compartment light though, they dont do much good anyways.

Comment

Working...
                      X