Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows not rolling up, but you can hear the gear turn?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the bushings make sense if you think about it... they act as bumpers that cushion the motor when rolling all the way up or down and avoids breaking the plastic bottom ring gear... another difference between my fiance's car and mine is the access holes in the door to mess with stuff... it seemed the holes and stuff are different and more in the older door... my door had paper under the interior panel and hers was plastic
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

after I replaced the nylon bushings in the driver door of my vic twice within 3 months... I said to hell with that and put in bearings. Haven't had a problem since. Did have to replace a plastic gear in the 88 though... put the wrong size bearings in that one. remedied that when I replaced the gear.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

if you replace with that stuff... where do you get the bearings or what size nuts do you use in the motors??? if i still worked at my old manufacturing job, i would have taken rod and cut it down or even cut up a 3 inch long 3/8 extension since it is damn near same diameter
        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

7/16 bearings. and IIRC the nuts are 2 stacked 1/4-20? You could definitely use 7/16 rod cut down to half inch lengths. That would definitely work better (I have not the tools for such though... at least not accurately and in quantity). Chamfer the ends to keep it all smooth of course.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I clean out the plastic debris and replace the roller pins with tiny nuts in a stack. Grease it up and it will never fail again. Cost 50 cents. Danger don't close the window on your head. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
              For what, silicone grease?

The stuff sold in the little packets at the parts counter will work just fine, as that is what I used.
              You mean like tuneup grease?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

something like this... https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-Heavy...Wt-Oz/16817419

Comment

Cool, thanks

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    I was looking for what to lube the bushings with, this would be for the tracks no?

What about the bushings, I think the grease I have used has attacked them.

Comment

Bushings? White lithium works a treat. Lucas Red and Tacky also works great.

Comment

Cool, thanks Sly.

Comment

Working...
                        X