Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows not rolling up, but you can hear the gear turn?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows not rolling up, but you can hear the gear turn?

Well, after a chat with Gen. Phayzer, I forgot...

You can get the entire gear assemblies, complete with bushings, at advance! They should have them in stock!

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...e=1327&ptset=A

Also, you can get the bushings in the HELP! aisle.

Just a little FYI, saves having to wait on that great ebay shipper!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

I tore my passenger rear door apart, to replace what i thought was just a bushing problem, but it turns out my plastic gear that they fit into was cracked across it

The one on ebay is just the plastic gear and bushings. A little cheaper but you'll have to wait.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Rebuilding the stock motors seems to work out better than some of those cheapie motors. We got a set for the SuperLinc, one was bad right out of the box and even after fixing the poor assembly problem it wouldn't run the window up reliably. I ended up pulling the transmission out of it and slapping it on the stock motor, now it works fine. The other front door has a new China motor, and in 3 weeks its gone from working OK to being slow and making a rather loud horrible noise when you operate the window. I'm gonna yank it apart and use the transmission in the old motor.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
        saves having to wait on that great ebay shipper!
        Great post. Is it just me or do they strap packages to the backs of turtles half the time?

Now more than ever am planning on complete rebuilds for my window motors, I want those windows to jump!

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

I put new bushings and good used brushes in my passenger motor - it was good for two years untill it got stuck down again last week.
          I ordered a rebiult one from fisher... and they are getting a core back with no bushings in it
          I think keeping them sealed up and water tight is important... the insides of my motor were all nasty looking.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I have the exact same problem. I had the motor out and it moved just fine, but under the weight of the window, it's another story. I can hear the gears turning. And you can move the window up and down by hand.

So you can rebuild the motors? That's nice! Is it hard? How much does one of these kits cost? What internal parts do these kits have? Fill me in, I am also replacing a window motor.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX
              I have the exact same problem. I had the motor out and it moved just fine, but under the weight of the window, it's another story. I can hear the gears turning. And you can move the window up and down by hand.

So you can rebuild the motors? That's nice! Is it hard? How much does one of these kits cost? What internal parts do these kits have? Fill me in, I am also replacing a window motor.

LOL, man did you read the posts? there is a link with the price right there!

There is one screw and the parts drop in. It's easier than removing the motor.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I didn't see that, my mistake, I thought it was in a sig.

Comment

no problem. The parts are also very common on ebay. The torque pins are like 7 bucks IIRC, if you don't want to replace the whole plastic gear assembly.

Comment

I think I might as well, while I'm in there. See I think what this thread said is the exact thing I have problems with. The motor works without the weight of the window, but when it's in there, it just makes noise, and the gears turn. Is it gears? Or something else?

Comment

If you can hear the motor, it's the gears or torque pins in the gear drive. They are like big erasers that prevent you from decapitating people with the windows. They wear out and then the window won't go up.

Comment

Sadly it wont fit mine :-/
                        People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

what you talkin about darkenss
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                            If you can hear the motor, it's the gears or torque pins in the gear drive. They are like big erasers that prevent you from decapitating people with the windows. They wear out and then the window won't go up.
                            Turns out it was the white plastic gear. The spacers that hold the metal gear up were completly destroyed just bits and pieces. So I got the plastic gear and metal gear replacement kit. Won't know if it's any good until monday.

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                              I'm two time zones from home, in western north dakota dog trialing and the other day my driver's window wouldn't roll up. 4:30 on the Saturday of memorial day weekend, in a tiny dakota town. Well the window had to go up even if I had too leave it up. I have a tool kit but no ratchet so I raced to the hardware store for ratchet - and in case that failed, clear plastic and duct tape.

I've had motors fail before and usually they go slow and noisily. This went without noise. When I threw the switch I heard a faint click, no better. Well I got most of the panel off, enough to get a hand in there but the window wouldnt't budge. Enough is enough. I took everything worth stealing into my motel room and figured Sunday I'd ask the trial host if he had a ranch shop so I could disassemble the whole door.

On the way to the ranch I hit the button and it worked fine. Tried it a couple times, rolled up and down, silently, like a good window. Well, I'm a long way from home so I ordered a new motor from Pete Veitch and I'll leave the damn window up until I get home.

But I'd appreciate your suggestions what the trouble might be.

I hit a deer fifteen minutes after leaving home -3 am -three weeks ago and wrecked the front of the car. Radiators were okay and I had three headlights which are plenty going through West Virginia, so I kept on trucking. In Wisconsin I had a mechanic jury rig something so I had four headlights, more or less aimed. He told me I had a short somewhere in the front - kept arcing.

Might that have something to do with it?

Donald McCaig

Comment

Working...
                              X