Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows not rolling up, but you can hear the gear turn?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:bump:

Not quite the same question, but my p/s rear window keeps on hanging up in the all-the-way-down position. My initial thought was that it was simply going down farther than it liked, but after adding some material to the stop peg on the gearey-quadrantey thing, it kept right on sticking from time to time when the mechanism was allowed to reach its point of maximum deflection. Since playing with the bolts (all five of them) and wiggling the motor back and forth (deflecting the mechanism somewhat this way and that) eventually freed it up each time, I tore the whole thing apart and cleaned and re-lubed both the inner gear works and all the bushings. Unless the one bushing on the mid part of the motor shaft (on the near end of the threads, where it first enters the gear housing) is further gone than I thought at a glance, the only thing I'm coming up with is that there may be a procedure for adjusting the screw-bolt-locknut thing at the end. Unless the big deflection of the whole kaboodle including the inner parts of the door structure is kind of a no-no, but I expect that's normal since all the Panther doors I've seen do it.

Thoughts on this from those who know lots more about window motors than I do?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

i know not to roll the windows down on these cars all the way. when someone rolls one down all the way, i hit the window motor with something and it rolls back up. i think it is probably dirty electrical brushes in the motor itself.
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Pretty sure mine isn't brushes, as they look OK, but cleaning them a bit is free and worth a try .........

Comment

my rear window has the same problem. Slamming the door makes it go. I know mine is from worn brushes. Its a reman motor and they were getting skinny 2 years ago when I looked at it. I've gotten them going before withh 800 or so sandpaper on the commutator to clean it up, and the same on the brushes. Just make sure the springs aren't tired and the braided wire connecting the brush to the electrical connection isn't broken.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hadn't thought about the possibility of insufficient spring pressure. Only way I know of offhand to check that is that "the spring sticks somewhat past the end of its enclosure when unloaded", which is probably not a particularly useful statement.

Guess I will definitely be spending a little time sanding the brushes and commutator just for good measure ........

Comment

Update: sanded brushes and commutator with no change, except possibly that now the window hangs up every time it's rolled all the way down, instead of just once in a while. Brushes are probably about half worn, with maybe just over 3/8" remaining. The springs do look about like any other window motor I've had apart (for what that's worth) ..... if I were to replace them, what would I look for?

Otherwise, this leaves my only guess being that maybe the bushing on the middle of the motor shaft is too far gone or that the plug in the end is in too far, or that the mechanism really does have something jamming up elsewhere. For now I have two yellow dots on the window frame to help me keep from rolling the window down too far.

Comment

my window wiggles to the front of the car to back when it goes up what could be wrong with it that it does that cause it is starting to scratch the window?
                sigpic
                1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Sounds like what my 2-door windows are doing. You actually have to hold them along the right line of travel with one hand or it won't even go into the window frame. Someone said the guides are probably bad, but I have yet to learn how to fix them.

Comment

My window motors are spinning when I hit the button but not doing anything to the window. So I took it apart and found out that it is the plastic gear part it was basically stripped there was plastic all inside the grease. My question is does that replacement work for a 76 Marquis Brougham 4dr? If not where can i find a replacement that will work.

Comment

Is it the outer gear, or the inner plastic plugs that have fallen apart? A lot of Ford products use the same motor. I know the rear motors on a Towncar have a 1973 part number on them, so I wouldn't be even a little surprised if the 80s gears are the same as the 70s ones.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Its the inside of the plastic gear is all rounded out. I know now what I need but I found a place that just has the gears for sale with out the grease and the plate that goes over it. What kind of grease should I use to lubricate the gears? Thank you to gadget73 too.

Comment

Silicone style grease. It's the only thing to use for plastic parts.
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Oh ok I forgot about the swelling thing. Is there any brand in particular that you, or anyone else for that matter, would recommend for this kind of purpose?

Comment

For what, silicone grease?

The stuff sold in the little packets at the parts counter will work just fine, as that is what I used.
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Alright thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X