Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows not rolling up, but you can hear the gear turn?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have this problem, except the gears are fine! The end of one of the cables was detached but the motor still spins the gear (subsequently causing the cable to become mangled). How are these cables attached to the window and can I buy the cables separately?

Comment

I can hear a faint wrr wrr sound in the door in which the window doesn't work. Sometimes it comes down a little bit but it takes a whole lot of button pushing.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

In such a case, most often you can just replace these three little plastic bushings inside the window-drive gearbox. The kit costs about $7, and it's easy to install. After you get the door panel off, you just need a drill, a screwdriver, and a 8mm socket. I should have a note of the part number somewhere .... but you can get it at AutoZone in the "Help!" section. Dunno where you'd get them in Kanadia, but you can get similar kits on eBay. Each window regulator uses three little platic pins or bushings to drive the actual pinion that makes the window go up and down, and these tend to disintegrate over time.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thanks for the idea, but I don't know if that is definitely the problem. 7 bucks plus shipping plus duty fees plus wait time will probably make it easier for my mechanic to grab a complete motor from a JY....besides, I don't even have a drill.
          Last edited by 1990LTD; 06-17-2009, 02:06 PM.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Wow. I thought everyone kept a drill in the house.

Don't you have parts stores up there? The only name I ever hear of is "Canadian Tire", which I've always assumed is a tire dealer.

BTW, even if replacing with a good assembly, it's still a good idea to replace the bushings.

Comment

Canadian Tire is a big-box hardware store.
              sigpic

Comment

And I solved the problem by buying JUST the white gear from rockauto.com. $14 per gear if my memory is correct.
                Rob the Aussie
                Photos
                Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
                (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
                Engine: 302 Windsor

Comment

The link at the beginning of this thread isnt working for me but my back two windows are up but won't come down. You cant here the motor but it won't move. And also when you let the passenger side window all the way down it takes a while before you can let it backup.
                  sigpic
                  New 87 LTD Crown Vic

Comment

Originally posted by DiVin3 View Post
                    The link at the beginning of this thread isnt working for me but my back two windows are up but won't come down. You cant here the motor but it won't move. And also when you let the passenger side window all the way down it takes a while before you can let it backup.
                    Sounds like your bushings are going bad, you can find them in the "Help Section" at the parts store.

They look like this...

These are inside of the window motor, yours are most likely kidney shaped, or completely crushed up. And these are somewhat of a pain to put in, so good luck lol
                    ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                    ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

Hey i just got this 1991 grand marquis are the rear electric window parts inter changable with the front?
                      My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

I have a bunch of motors from an 89 and a 90 and the front/rear ones all look the same, but that's all I know.
                        sigpic

Comment

thx bowman...how do you put these bushings in though?
                          sigpic
                          New 87 LTD Crown Vic

Comment

you have to take the center gear out of the plastic one, then pending the plastic being
                            rounded over there should be indents on the metal side gear and they sit in the triangle corners of the plastic gear and in the grooves of the metal gear, so you have to line them up and push the metal gear in at the same time. It can be tricky. Also you have to drill a hole in the door to get the motor out, not the brightest design anyone has ever come up with, but i have seen worse.
                            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Hwy Bowman do you have the Help Part # that just got cut off in that picture, I thought I saw it posted somewhere here before, # 74410 is what i find on google.. . . they have all sorts of 'help' stuff other than those at the Canadian tire here.

Also for the guys new to this don't forget to check out pete's thread on removing/rebuilding the motors http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=1529
                              Ont And Canada PPL The Cookhouse in Dwight

91 Grand Marq . . . . . . 88 ho wagon (project) . . . . . . 80' Lincoln Mark VI

Comment

When I asked an employee at our local AutoZone about that kit, he immediately knew just what I was looking for. Possibly I might have posted the part number in my P72 Reader's Rides thread ... hm......

Comment

Working...
                                X