Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows not rolling up, but you can hear the gear turn?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are 3 of the little rubber disc-like bushings in each motor, right?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

yes. personally I replace them with ball bearings... but that's because I've had them deform on me in the august heat here in Texas and stop working.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Would the bushings going out cause the window to work its way down? two of my 94 GMs windows are doing this.

Tim
        2000 Ford Crown Victoria
        84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
        85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
        89 Lincoln town car: RIP
        89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
        1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
        2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

If the bushing are totally gone, the window essentially can freewheel either way. So it's possible...
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by over2tonsofFun View Post
            Would the bushings going out cause the window to work its way down? two of my 94 GMs windows are doing this.

Tim
            Yes, or the regulator is shot. To differentiate between the motor and the regulator, operate the window. If you hear a series of metallic whipping (cable hitting inside of the door), your regulator exploded, and you need a new one. press up, with the window already up. If it's just the bushings, the motor will make noise, and the window will most likely creep down.

Comment

i like the video Scott put up on youtube for how to repair... i need to rip my driver door open since the window drops 2/3 way down and stops unless i wedge it up
              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

the video scott posted is great
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

you got that apart and back together pretty quick. it's almost like you've done it before lol
                    sigpic

Comment

You think that might be the case? I'm not so sure lol. I don't think he knows a lot about these cars at all.
                      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

:lol:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

took my driver door apart... found that previos owner drilled out the rivets connecting the window arm to the door... found that they put it all back in backwards because window motor was on backside of door as opposed to the speaker side... the arm stuff wasnt even bolted to door and just thumping around in the door when i made turns...i unbolted the motor and checked the bushings since it wobbled... they were solid plastic type bushings and flat spotted on one end and round on the other... i am gonna be swapping the bushings now as soon as i make it to parts store... bigger challenge is the arm connecting the motor to window... trying to keep that under enough pressure to allow me to rebolt it is the challenge... i think i have that part solved... just need to get me some bolts and stuff to get it all reattached ... now i see why some species eat their young... some people need to be shot for attempting to repair stuff only to make things worse
                          Last edited by 87_crown_vic; 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM.

Comment

my motor had a lip on that gear that you pull out first... so i had to grease the outer gear and put the bushings sticking to that into rest of the assembly... didnt have to fight with pushing hard.. the outer gear i think is meant to hold bushings and slide it together

Comment

ok... messed with fiances 1990 Grand Marq driver door motor... it is a lil different... instead of phillips screw holding cover on the motor it is a torx... and the middle gear you have to take out is held on with a C clip on the center shaft to hold it all together... the bushings in it are shot... literally in pieces looking like a crumbled yellow eraser in the motor

Comment

hence the reason many replace them with bearings or nuts. Steel FTW!

Comment

Working...
                                X