Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Here's what's in my shopping cart on Summit, to be ordered Friday. PLEASE let me know if anything needs to be modified/added for the GT-40P/T5 installs.

Crane Double Roller Timing Chain w/ Iron Sprockets (is this overkill?)
    Equus 2.5" tachometer (going on the steering column)
    FRPP natural finish stainless steel shorties
    Summit steel throw-out bearing retainer
    Summit blue 8mm spark plug wires (not running enough hp to need to worry about huge wires, IMO- what's yours?)
    Trick Flow GT-40 1" phenolic intake manifold spacer (is this overkill?)

Any modifications or additions would be welcome. What kind of oil/filter and spark plugs do you guys recommend?

Most of these I find necessary- tach (for T5), throw-out bearing retainer (the stock piece on the T5 is worn and I might as well get a good one), timing chain (could I get away with stock replacement?), plug wires (mine are shot), and the spacer, for the fuel rail clearance.

Again, any advice would be appreciated.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Stock HO timing chains are double roller. Might as well get something at least as good as stock. Single roller timing chains stretch more, which is generally a Bad Thing.

I have Ford Racing wires on my car. $40 for the set, they're blue, probably better quality than standard Motorcraft, and slightly cheaper.

I also like Autolite plugs. I think I've got AP25 (platinum) in my e7 HO with no complaints.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okay. O'reilly lists a stock replacement roller chain for $13- does that sound right? Do I NEED to replace the gears or will they be okay?

I think the Summit wires will work out well. $35 for the set and I trust Summit's equipment.

I'm not worried about spark plugs just yet. I have a feeling I'll end up with some Bosch +2 or something to that effect, but I'm not sure. I'll decide when the time comes... but advice is always welcome.

I'm running conventional oils to break in the motor and warm up the T5 after sitting up for a while, then I'm switching to full synthetics across the board. I'm thinking Redline for the T5 and Mobil1 for the motor- opinions?

Thanks, guys.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Motorcraft oil filters are good. Try to avoid Fram, although I have had no problems with them, have one on GL right now, no problems, but Motorcraft are better. I still need to put mine on lol
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

the motorsport wires are 9mm and only 5 bucks more.............stay away from those bosch +2 and +4 plugs..........an autolite or an autolite platinum for a 97-01 v8 explorer is best
          i've gotten several timing sets on ebay for 27 bucks shipped.......double roller with adjustable crank spocket so you can advance/retard the cam
          dont forget to budget gaskets, a new water pump, belts, hoses, thermostat, need to get an egr spacer bored to 63mm, pcv screen and gromnet, vacuum hose clamps, the little crap adds up quick!
          good luck
          scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Timing sets should always come with gears. If someplace is selling just a chain, avoid it. I bought a double roller set for my HO for like $25 at the local parts store. Its not one that I can adjust the cam advance on though. Check out the replacement avaliable for $13, it won't cost you anything to look. You're looking for one that has gears with a double tooth. Single roller chains have a gear with a single wide tooth that goes all the way across. Double roller chains have two narrow teeth on the outer edge of the gear. Single rollers are a little cheaper, but they stretch more.

I'm also tending to agree with avoiding Bosch plugs. Only thing I ever had them run worth a damn in was my VW, and they were OEM. The plats ran like crap in it tho, had to run the copper core plugs.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

AutoZone carries the Dynagear dbl roller set for less than $25. I have run Dynagear on my Clevelands, 429 and 302's with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                the motorsport wires are 9mm and only 5 bucks more.............stay away from those bosch +2 and +4 plugs..........an autolite or an autolite platinum for a 97-01 v8 explorer is best
                i've gotten several timing sets on ebay for 27 bucks shipped.......double roller with adjustable crank spocket so you can advance/retard the cam
                dont forget to budget gaskets, a new water pump, belts, hoses, thermostat, need to get an egr spacer bored to 63mm, pcv screen and gromnet, vacuum hose clamps, the little crap adds up quick!
                good luck
                scott
                I'll check into the wires and I'll follow the advice on the plugs- that's why I asked! Timing equipment is a big concern- were the eBay pieces good quality (did they actually fit)?

I've budgeted for new gaskets, but my water pump only has about 5,000 miles on it, so I'm going to reuse it. I also have new hoses. I'll replace thermostat and belts, PCV, etc. New vacuum system has about 2,000 miles on it.

Why do I need to get a 63mm EGR spacer? One doesn't come on the Explorer motor? What I'm getting is from throttle body to oil pan...

Again, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                  Why do I need to get a 63mm EGR spacer? One doesn't come on the Explorer motor? What I'm getting is from throttle body to oil pan...
                  The Explorer motors do not use a conventional spacer. They have an elbow that bends around.

Comment

Okay- so, what EGR spacers can I use?

Also, what about this for timing:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...spagenameZWDVW[/url]

Comment

you also need to replace the explorer oil pan and oil pump pickup

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I would not run the Phenolic spacer. At least on a regular HO, they don't make power on the dyno.

I run the dynagear timing chain and sprockets. Under $20 at auto-zone.

How much for a parts store throw-out bearing?

If you run lifetime warranty parts store ignition wires, you can return them if they ever break or burn. Something to consider. I run the black Ford Racing wires and they seem to be fine.

Good luck. Are you going to run the HO camshaft?

Tom

Comment

Lincoln- I will be swapping the oil pan and pick-up from my CV motor.

TommyN- I want to run the phenolic spacer to get the clearance for my aluminum valve covers and the fuel rails, so I don't need to do any grinding or cutting on the GT-40 intakes. It's not to pretend I have more horsepower- just to get the clearance.

I'll check into the Dynagear equipment.

I got a new throw-out bearing with my FRPP King Cobra clutch kit, but I need a new bearing retainer (the original is loose). $30 was the best price I found on a stock replacement, so I'm gonna go with Summit's steel retainer for $40.

I forgot to check on the wires today- we've been unbelievably slammed at work, still catching up hundreds of files from Katrina and Rita.

I'll be running the HO cam, yes. Fairmont_Kevin said he has an ECM for me... have you shipped it, Kevin?

Comment

Try and find a 93-95 Lighting EGR spacer, or you will have to do some rigging. I saw some aussie HO spacers on ebay that look the same as the vic ones but were 60mm, which is a bit small but they could be ported a bit.
                            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

FRPP 68mm EGR spacer for $30 plus shipping. I missed the bid, but I'm in negotiations with the seller to re-list and I'll buy it immediately.

I'm also ordering a main girdle and billet steel flywheel- both on a major sale right now, $200 for both. I want to go ahead with the girdle so that I won't need to worry about block troubles as I upgrade.

Having a 5-speed on a 4,000lb car with the horse I'm hoping to end up running can be Hell on that block. Plus, I figure- it's a great deal, so why not go ahead and get it?

Do any of you know about the valley supports? I'm told I can do those with the engine still in the car, but I don't know. I don't want that block to have any chance of splitting.

I think that's all my updating for now...

Comment

Working...
                              X