Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'll still split. You need to be running some serious HP though, 400+...And I haven't heard anything about galley supports...main supports yes..

The EGR doesn't have the bosses for the studs to mount the throttle bracketly to...
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I'm drunk, so I can't really understand what you just said. Can you say in in "chemically imbalanced" terms?
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

WOO-HOOO!!

I went down to the wrecker today to get my motor. It's a 2hr drive there! The guy was telling me he couldn't believe the salesman offered to sell it to me for $650 (and even said the guy may not be employed, come Monday...) because it only has 100,000 miles on it and they had 1145 written on the motor in five spots, meaning they were seriously asking $1145 for it! He said they had to honor the man's word, so they were going to deal for that price... Anyway, I wrote out the check, then barely caught myself.

"Would you be offended if I tell you I want to see the motor before I give you this check?"
        "No, come on!"

We walked to the back and there it was. I searched for the "GTP" on the head and it was there! I was so excited. I handed him the check as my buddy Matt drove his truck around the back to have the motor dropped into the bed of his F-150 (the brand new ones are AWESOME, by the way!). Problem is, my check didn't clear because Telecheck couldn't get into my bank account (Hancock Bank is having system problems). I called my boss (we work for Hancock) to see if she had any ideas of what to do, but she was on the road and had left her cell phone in the office. So, I was screwed.

We left and stopped at a gas station to get some snacks and directions. On the way out, my boss called me to ask what was going on. I told her the situation and asked if she had any ideas. She didn't. Officially screwed. I figured I'd have to get the cash directly out of my bank account, drive WAY out into nowhere again, and find out that they won't deal at $650 any more- they want full price.

"Well... do you think they'd take my credit card number over the phone?"

That's my boss saying that! "Turn around and call me when you get to the guy. I'll give him my credit card and you can pay me back later."

How awesome is that?!

So now, I have a GT-40P sitting in my garage. Here's what they included:

Engine (long block)
        Intakes
        Throttle body/ the weird elbow thing
        Entire engine wiring harness
        Fuel rails
        Fuel injectors

Basically, if I could figure out where those wires go, I could run it with an Explorer computer and keep the coil packs. So... I think I'm going to do some research. I want to say MSD makes an ignition box for coil-pack equipped V8s. All I'd need is a MAF sensor and a MAF computer. I'm thinking about it. We'll see.

Just looked up the MSD box. It's MSD part #62112, a box designed specifically for distributorless ignition systems. Not cheap at all, but I'm thinking it's worth it if it would allow me to keep the coil packs.

Opinions?
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

I think it would be interesting. VERY interesting...
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Sweet deal/steal!!! How far are you from New Orleans, LA? If you find the right person, can you get a "storm car" 5.0L Explorer/Mountaineer for pennies on the dollar? Their called "storm cars" up here if they were under water, stuck in the snow or damaged some other way. Tons of parts are going to coming out of the areas Katrina hit very soon. I was thinking about driving down with a flatbed truck and a pocket full on money. You could be my parts supplier down there if you're interested.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
            5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

We were actually in New Orleans last night. (serious mode)

Guys... it is awful down there. There is one strip of town that is just piled with the stuff that was pulled out of homes and streets... it's 30ft tall, at least 50ft wide, and stretches for probably a quarter mile. It's horrible. The water lines on some of the houses were all the way up on the roof. It's devastating.

I'm about 45 minutes from New Orleans, though. They have a "storm car" junkyard where they've just piled up cars that were destroyed. Don't plan to get any interior pieces- the water has stained everything. All that would be good are metal parts that wouldn't rust much and they'd need to be sandblasted to be used. As far as I know, it's a "find what you need and take it" situation. I don't know, though.

I know of an actual junkyard that has been set up with tons of cars from LA and MS about 30 minutes from my house. Parts are for sale and I'm sure they're cheap as dirt. I plan to get over there one day soon and see what they have. I'm planning a 1997-2002 control arm swap so I can run poly bushings, so I'm gonna go hope to nab a drowned PI.

I'll keep you updated on all that... but for now,

BTT! What about the Explorer harness and using the Explorer coil packs? It looks like the coil packs will be extremely simple with the MSD box- I want to go that route if I can swing the money.

Comment

I dont think the MSD DIS box is a stand alone. YOu would probly have to have the Explorer ECM to make it work.
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Issue with the Exploder ECM is that you'll pretty much need to have cats installed. Should be 3 or 4 oxygen sensors total on that, one per bank and another after the cat so the ECM knows its working. Then the whole thing of you'd need to change to a 4R70W so the ECM can talk to the transmission and not act all retarded. Unless 5.0 Explorers came with a manual, then one of those ECM should work with an AOD. I'd go for the 4R70W if you want to keep the Explorer computer.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There will be no transmission-talking. No POS AODs anywhere around the wagon. T5. Enough said.

I'm going to add it to my signature so people will stop saying that.

Anyway- most MSD boxes are stand-alone, but I don't know about distributorless. I'm going to look into it because I'd love to be able to run it.

Comment

I've been doing some thinking and for the parts availability on distributor-equipped ignitions, I'm going to switch it instead of doing all the work to convert the car to DIS. Not only will I not need to spend $$$ on all the equipment, I can also sell the DIS equipment for a decent coin.

So- anyone want some DIS ignition coils, sensor, and wires?

Comment

Nice buy mang! Get R done!!!!
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Smog junk removal...

I want to remove the smog pump system when I install this GT-40P motor. The heads do not have provisions for the bar that goes down to the smog pump.

The computer I'll be running is from a 1988-92 Lincoln Mark VII (did you send it, yet, Kevin?) so do I need to have the EGR stuff deleted from the computer, like someone mentioned in another thread? How do I do that?

I have the piping coming from the catalytic converters, but I'm going to replace them ASAP and I'll just plug them until that time.

Does anyone have any information that could help with ensuring that I won't have problems?

Should I get a smog pump eliminator bracket/pulley or can I get by with a shorter belt?

Comment

im not sure if the ODB-I computers have to have the EGR turned off, from what ive seen no one has had a problem with it.
                            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I took my smog pump off because I broke the crossover tube where it makes a right angle around the block at that fitting. It'll be a few weeks till my lincolns running again but it'll have no smog pump. I'm going to try the 500K6 belt scott suggested, if it slips or something isn't right, then Ill buy the $50 eliminator pulley.
                              1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

The air pump sytem and EGR are seperate systems...

Take the smog pump and crossover off. No problem. If the exploder motor still has the EGR keep it. It's not a big deal to run the two vacuum lines.

As for the eliminator pulley, it'd be the easier way to keep the A/C. on my old car I didn't have A/C or the smog pump. I haven't gotten that far on the new wagon yet.
                                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                                X