Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elliminator pulley is way to much money for what it does, just run a shorter belt.

From what I've learnt the EGR system on these cars acts as an octane booster to prevent pinging, your computer will expect a function EGR, so it'll be tuning the mixture richer than you need it, a common solution to which seems to be the AFPR.

If your intakes indeed have and EGR passage and you want to use it to keep the computer happy, you'll need 3 lines plus 1 solenoid (the EVR). You already have the EVR on your right fender, but the lines from and yo it you'll need to redo. Actually I just did mine today, got tired of the mess and cleaned it up - I have one line coming from the back of the upper intake to the "in" port of the EVR (that normally runs between the manifolds, mine goes along the firewall), another line from the small vacuum canister to the same "in" port (used one of the angled 2-to-1 rubber fittings from the stock setup), and one line from the "out" port of the EVR to the EGR valve on the intake. Simple and effective There are also two smaller solenoids next to the EVR, they are for the control valves for the smog system - I disconnected their vacuum lines, left them plugged in the harness (don't know how the computer would react to not finding them if I ditch them), and moved them to the back right corner of the engine bay where they cannot even be seen easily. I'll take a pic tomorrow, if you're interested I can post it here.

Comment

Ivan - Yes, please post pictures. I think I know what you're talking about, but it's too early to tell.

Thanks for all the information, guys. I have more questions, but I'm really late for work.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Freshmeat, tomorrow my roommate will bring his camera from studio and I'll take some pics, expect them posted in the evening.

Comment

Thanks, Ivan. I'll be looking for it.
          2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

A) smog pump eliminator pulleys are for Mustangs. I doubt they even fit a vic.

B) they are totally unnecessary, there is a short belt that fits. I've posted it here and on CVN but don't remember the number, look around.

C) I suck. Haven't been to FedEx. Then again, you haven't sent me a check either.... :p Unless my wife stole it out of the mail or lost it behind the couch or something....
            FOR SALE: 89 Grand Marquis GS HO. Quarter mile = 15.8 @ 87mph -- pics http://public.fotki.com/vfr700f2/car...rcycl/mercury/

Junkyard HO, MSD wires, stock Mustang headers, off-road H, Hemi Super Turbos. 3.55 trac loc, HO governor and servo in stock rebuilt AOD. 3-row rad, air pump delete, cop rear bar, wagon rear springs, 93 CV rear discs, 98-02 Grand Marquis wheels, Class 3 hitch, aluminum space-saver spare.

Coming soon: 98-02 front brakes, cop springs, Monroe cop shocks, 96 Cobra wheels w/255/50/17. Better yet, need a nice wagon to put all that stuff in.

Comment

Apparently, I suck, too. LoL

I was actually starting to get agitated earlier today that you hadn't responded about the ECM, then went to write my boss a check and saw the undated check I was supposed to send you.

I'm going to PM you my number. Call me and remind me to mail the check when you're mailing the ECM. PLEASE do it tomorrow if you can- I'm going to have everything installed and ready to roar on the 20th, so I need the ECM by the 18th.

If this thing isn't bad ass...

Comment

Okay- here's what I ordered today from Summit with a shipping grand total of $8.95:

1) Accel Spark Plug Wires, Super Stock (cheap)
                2) ARP Oil Pump Driveshaft (make sure this one doesn't shear)
                3) FRPP Double Roller timing chain with up to 4* advance ( )
                4) FRPP Stainless Steel Shorty Headers (can these be painted?)
                5) Lokar Shifter Boot Set (for the T5 shifter-- and the cheapest available)
                6) Summit High Output Ignition Coil (40,000 volts)
                7) TrickFlow full gasket set (this is a no-brainer)
                8) Trick Flow Intake Manifold Spacer for GT-40 intakes (to clear fuel rails)

Also, these came in today from UPR:

1) Aluminum pedal covers with "5.0" etched into them
                2) Tall shifter handle with "5.0" etched into it
                3) Adjustable shifter shaft (I have a feeling I won't keep it- it's a LOT shorter than I though it'd be)

Can you say, "Impulse buyer!"?

Still need:

1) Short belt to delete smog pump and alternator belt
                2) Various lubricants (dino for break-in and synthetic after that)
                3) Steering gear (need to replace it while I'm in there)
                4) ECM (Kevin?)

Comment

Originally posted by Fairmont Kevin
                  A) smog pump eliminator pulleys are for Mustangs. I doubt they even fit a vic.

B) they are totally unnecessary, there is a short belt that fits. I've posted it here and on CVN but don't remember the number, look around.

C) I suck. Haven't been to FedEx. Then again, you haven't sent me a check either.... :p Unless my wife stole it out of the mail or lost it behind the couch or something....
                  Well,

A, all the smog pumps are extenally the same dimensions...the Pullies are the same from my experience also. The eliminator will work...but if a short belt will work, that's what I'd go for. Cheap.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Good stuff!
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Freshmeat, sorry man, no pics yet - that kid hasn't left studio since yesterday, eats there and doesn't sleep at all. Oh well, he'll be back tomorrow, so I'll get the picks then - you'll deffinitely have them by Saturday night, so that should give you plenty of time to get the vacs done before the 20th

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                        4) FRPP Stainless Steel Shorty Headers (can these be painted?)

yep. I got some cheap exhaust manifold paint at wal-mart, worked good on my headers.
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I'm also ordering a main girdle and billet steel flywheel- both on a major sale right now, $200 for both. I want to go ahead with the girdle so that I won't need to worry about block troubles as I upgrade.
                          Do any of you know about the valley supports? I'm told I can do those with the engine still in the car, but I don't know. I don't want that block to have any chance of splitting..
                          I can confidently say that you have zero chance of splitting a block without supports any time in the near future. You are very close to wasting alot of money if you worry about things which are insignificant at this point of your build. Keep it simple. Lean and mean is where you want to be.

Comment

Thanks, Ivan.

Comment

Merc- I don't want to have to go back into my engine for a long time. If I go ahead and do the support ($90, same brand as a friend is using on his motor with 200-shot of giggle juice), I can confidently swap out and add and do whatever I want without having to worry about that. After this, I swap the rear end and suspension, then comes a turbo , so I want to make sure I'm good to go.

Before any of you say anything about low-compression pistons and the like, I've read accounts of 550hp by slapping a turbo onto a completely stock motor (with a girdle added) and making numerous runs without breaking a thing... on pump gas.

Overkill, I know, but for that price, I wasn't about to pass it up.

Comment

Merc- I don't want to have to go back into my engine for a long time. If I go ahead and do the support ($90, same brand as a friend is using on his motor with 200-shot of giggle juice), I can confidently swap out and add and do whatever I want without having to worry about that. After this, I swap the rear end and suspension, then comes a turbo , so I want to make sure I'm good to go.

Before any of you say anything about low-compression pistons and the like, I've read accounts of 550hp by slapping a turbo onto a completely stock motor (with a girdle added) and making numerous runs without breaking a thing... on pump gas.

Overkill, I know, but for that price, I wasn't about to pass it up.
                                Your pistons are far from low compression. With hypereutectic pistons, a girdle is not overkill as much as money wasted. Your pistons will fail long before your block will. If you can afford to spend $90 on a girdle, then you must already have everything you need to bolt your motor in?
                                A $200 shot is not going to split your block, or mine whould be split a long time ago. 550HP is not going to split your block. Only detonation at that power level could possibly do block damage, and your fusible links (pistons) would be destroyed long before that. No such thing as "slapping" a turbo on a hypereutectic motor with pump gas and getting much life out of it. You need to also bolt on supporting fuel/ignition management hardware.

Spend what you want on whatever your heart desires, but I was under the impression that you are on a budget.

Comment

Working...
                                X