No announcement yet.

Project towncar power trunk pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I checked the black wire and the b/w wire that goes to the motor, and got 11.5 volts at it... but after connecting one probe to a good ground and the other to the red terminal that plugs into the switch, I got zero. Am I correct in thinking that my issue lies with the fact that the switch is not getting any power? If so, should I just cut the red line on the switch and the red line on the motor and connect them directly?

Comment

no!!!!
      look at the wiring diagram...

when probing the connector for the power motor itself :
      11.5 shown through the black and black/white wire means it has power. The red wire is what goes to the switch up in the trunk lid and is supposed to be eventually grounded. If you snip that wire and ground it, (the end coming out of the motor) press the switch on the motor itself and you should ba able to make it work like in the video.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
        no!!!!
        look at the wiring diagram...

when probing the connector for the power motor itself :
        11.5 shown through the black and black/white wire means it has power. The red wire is what goes to the switch up in the trunk lid and is supposed to be eventually grounded. If you snip that wire and ground it, (the end coming out of the motor) press the switch on the motor itself and you should ba able to make it work like in the video.
        ...but you told me to cut the white wire and ground it. If I also cut the red wire and ground it, won't my switch will have both wires (the red one AND the white/blue one) cut?

If the red wire doesn't provide power to the switch, how does the switch get power?

I'm sorry if I'm being difficult. I've looked at the diagram and watched the video countless times... I even have an EVTM for my Town Car open in my lap right now. I just keep getting confused by this.

Comment

Black/white = power - you can clearly see this in the diagram
          Black = ground - ditto
          Red = switched ground - you can clearly see this wire going to the trunklid switch in the diagram

The red wire coming out of the motor goes up to the upper switch. The other wire coming out of the upper switch needs to be grounded in some way for the whole system to work.

When i mentioned cutting the red wiring and grounding it, I meant only for testing purposes
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I figured it out. Apparently my red wire doesn't go from the motor to the switch. I was getting no continuity through it. I cut both wires and connected them directly and it works now.

Thanks for the help! Now I just have to figure out what's going on with my power windows.

Comment

ah good it to works....
              You wont get continuity through that wire when the lid (and upper switch) is open - which wires did you cut?

Im sure you'll get it straitened out
              sigpic

Comment

I cut the red one that goes from the motor to the switch. My guess is that somewhere in my car's wiring, there's a break in that wire. All I did was cut the red wire coming out of the switch, and the red wire coming out of the motor, and spliced them together, and now it works just like it's supposed to.

I'm having a very small issue with alignment of the latch and the motor, but that'll be straightened out pretty easily.

Comment

well today i picked up from the yard a 1988 town car complete trunk pulldown system. and without modifications it bolted right up to my mercs stock hinge spots. pics tommorow i have to wire it up now but i bench tested it and it works. need to adjust the lower latch it isnt lined up correctly and when the trunk shuts the trunk moves a little to the left before sitting into the latch. wonder how to adjust that lower bracket.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                  -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                  1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I wondered how the stuff fit in a gmq... the trunk lid is more similar in shape...
                    You should have some wiggle room in the mounting for the upper latch too.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                      I wondered how the stuff fit in a gmq... the trunk lid is more similar in shape...
                      You should have some wiggle room in the mounting for the upper latch too.
                      I was kinda suprised when he told me that the towncar latch fit right in. I guess the latch is different between Grand Marquis and Crown Victora?

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                        well today i picked up from the yard a 1988 town car complete trunk pulldown system. and without modifications it bolted right up to my mercs stock hinge spots. pics tommorow i have to wire it up now but i bench tested it and it works. need to adjust the lower latch it isnt lined up correctly and when the trunk shuts the trunk moves a little to the left before sitting into the latch. wonder how to adjust that lower bracket.
                        Which yard were you at today Matt?
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Which yard were you at today Matt?

i was at the yard that i work at. i want to now wire up town car heated power side mirrors. may need little modification but i cant see it not being done.

yard is up in shavertown,pa and it is called Malaks Auto Salvage.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                          -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Working...
                          X