No announcement yet.

Carb trouble...blown power valve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well great news, I got the car to run long enough to look at the carb while its running and caught sight of my secondaries just dumping fuel into the carb. I changed out the secondary needle and seat with one I had laying around and it fired up and ran good.

I also adjusted everything back to normal including the acc pump. I need more of a pump shot, I'm 99% convinced. I have no clue what size shooter I have in there now (used ebay special) so I'm not sure what to get nor do I know the stock size either.

Also when the car was running like crap I mentioned it had alot more power on the top end, should I step up on the the primary jets? Is there anything I can do with the secondary metering plate to give it more fuel?

I also checked the power valve by screwing the mixture screws all the way in and it didnt run. So thats good, and I think it might already have blow out protection cause its taken alot of good backfires.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

You can purchase metering plates in different sizes. You can also drill them thy give the orfice sizes in a chart. If you have vaccum secondarys therre are spring kits change opening and closing rates. get one of the books on moding Holleys and read it.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I got the secondary spring kit already. I'm gonna do some reading on modding a 4160. I got time during the day, 3 study halls in school and access to the internet.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

When you get the right opening you wont fell them open no bogg or jerk.

Comment

Never mind, Having the same problem. Goin to go get a rebuild kit now. BS..

Comment

Rebuilt the carb, every thing seems fine now. I think I had junk in the needle and seat again. I also bought a russle aluminum fuel filter so no more glass ones falling apart. The carb has 64 jets, so I might get some new ones soon once I find out what I need.

Comment

Get a book on modifying Holley carbs. Front jets have nothing to do with rears. Rears have # like 12, 18, 22 etc. They are screw on with butterfly screw heads.

Comment

Working...
                X