Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{ECM} Questions

1st.
    Is the stock lo-po ecm, a sequential port injector fire or a multi port?

2nd.
    the ho ecm? same question?

3rd.
    if they are both sequential port fire, does the sequence change between them?
    1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Sequence changes between them. They can be tricked by swapping the wiring harness at the ECM connection.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

gotcha, so they are both sequential.... thats why the cam needs to be changed...

4th.
      anyone ever experiment with the injector switch to keep the stock cam? wondering if any performance could be achived with swappin ecm's injectors and 1.6-1.7 ratio rockers..... the rockers would increase valve lift which would reduce engine vac and since the ho cam already produces lower vac computer shouldnt know the difference... this is all a theroy
      1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

You dont have to change the cam

Comment

You have to change to the HO injectors and switch the wires at the ECM connection.

Comment

so if you dont swap the cam u just change injector fire, but if u do change the cam u change ignition fire.... gotcha....

I havent experimented with this yet, its was all a theory, a pre-ho upgrade... get all the top stuff done as im not yet prepared to take the heads off swap them along with the cam yet..... be cool if it worked in the meantime....

Comment

I have a marked up wireing diagram somewere. Did it on my blue Merc. Lo po upper intake, tapered EGR spacer, HO throttle body, HO injectors, lo po cam, A9L ECM and add on MASS air. You dont need the mass air.

Comment

If you change to an HO cam with the HO ECM, you do not need to re-pin the connector. The only reason you'd need to re-pin the plug is if the ECM is intended for something with a different firing order than the actual engine is. There is also no real reason to put bigger injectors in a stock motor. It will just pump fuel into it with no benifit. Unless you're moving more air, you dont need to move more fuel. Same with the ECM. If the computer's program isn't matched to the camshaft and by extension the engine's volumetric efficiency, its not going to run like it should. It will either suffer for power, fuel economy, or both.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Maybe got a little off here

LOPO ECM with a HO cam needs to have the injector firing order changed and distributor changed.

HO ECM with the LOPO cam needs the injector firing order swapped and needs the HO injectors

HO ECM with HO cam put in a LOPO needs the HO injectors and the distributor firing order changed.
                  Last edited by turbo2256b; 10-09-2006, 08:50 PM.

Comment

ignition firing order doesnt need changed unless u swapped cams, only injector sequence needs changed as the ho ecm uses the ho cam ignition firing order...

when u swapped the ho ecm, without the cam and switched injector fire.... did the vehicle run ok? driveable?

reason im asking is cuz Im not prepared to pull the heads and cam, but I can install all the otherstuff in 1 day, just need to be operational as it is a daily driver... the reason i was considering the 1.72 rockers is as the ho cam generates less engine vaccum. 1.72 rockers would increase valve lift eccentially doing the same thing... granted the cams arnt mapped the same... just a thought....

Comment

Originally posted by LtMercDaddy
                      ignition firing order doesnt need changed unless u swapped cams, only injector sequence needs changed as the ho ecm uses the ho cam ignition firing order...

when u swapped the ho ecm, without the cam and switched injector fire.... did the vehicle run ok? driveable?

reason im asking is cuz Im not prepared to pull the heads and cam, but I can install all the otherstuff in 1 day, just need to be operational as it is a daily driver... the reason i was considering the 1.72 rockers is as the ho cam generates less engine vaccum. 1.72 rockers would increase valve lift eccentially doing the same thing... granted the cams arnt mapped the same... just a thought....

Sorry loosing it

eddited #9 post please reread.

Yes it ran fine but you have to use the HO injectors the lopo injector specs dont match the HO ECM.

Comment

Must have hitthe wrong button had to editit again

Comment

did u repin the ecm connector? or did u just extend the injector plugs?

Comment

What does running an HO ECM with bigger injectors on the stock cam do for you though? I'd imagine it would just pump more fuel into the motor than it really needs.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by LtMercDaddy
                              did u repin the ecm connector? or did u just extend the injector plugs?
                              repined the ECM its easy

Comment

Working...
                              X