Fuel Line..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Line..

What size is the fuel line on my '88 Merc? how much Would I need to replace all of the lines and what fittings will I need?

~ Thanks, Dave
    Resident diesel addict

5/16. Depending what parts are bad you can either replace sections or all of it. If at least a few inches near the connectors are good, you can just use a double flare tool and get 5/16" double flare fittings and unions. If its shot to the special connectors at the fuel tank, fuel filter, and where the plastic lines are going to the lines on the motor, you need a special repair kit to replace them. Not sure on total length, would need to take a tape measure and give a rough measurement. You need from basicly the front tire to the back plus a couple feet for bends and such. 40 feet ought to be more than enough.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alright that's what I was thinking for the amount I needed. I think I may just replace the few bad sections. My buddy whose house my car is at said that the passenger side lines look fine. the driver side ones are gone though I ended up breaking a piece of line off when I dropped my fuel tank. The line has exploded to like 3/4" due to rust.
      Resident diesel addict

Comment

the drivers side line is the return side.....not sure why that one always rusts out and leakes first........best way to do it is with flare fittings, but you can repair it with 5/16" tubing and fuel injection hose......but still need to flare the factory line youre patching into......the fuel injection hose needs something to grab to, then use fuel hose clamps, not regular hose clamps
        i've heard compression fittings work, but i just dont like them.........the drivers side brake line is probably about to shit the bed too so make sure to check it while you are under there......goes first at the holding clip by the transmission crossmember.......invest in a double flaring tool....they come with instructions.......a tubing cutter is good to have too

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Alright thanks Scott, I have to redo the Brake lines as well. they a 3/16" is what I believe I was told?
          Resident diesel addict

Comment

3/16" brake lines yes
            funny thing is i've seen the fuel and brake lines rot out on nice rust free bodies and frames, then i've seen cars with nasty bodies with decent lines..go figure
            anyway there is only one line going to the rear brakes......it runs from the prop valve to the rear brake hose......make sure to check the rear brake hose too.....i find most of them are cracked (outer rubber dried out and cracked into the inner hose) that is an inspection item here also.......dont pay to skimp on brake maintenance on a 4000 lb car lol
            you should be able to pick up a double flaring tool and a tubing cutter for under 50 bucks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Alright, thanks again Scott. My cars frame is in really good shape just the lines have rusted along with the body. The body's rust has been taken care of though.
              Resident diesel addict

Comment

The lines arent undercoated, and they're a different material than the frame. Seems dirt and such lays on top of them and makes them rot, still don't get why its only one side though. Brake line on mine blew up right over the trans crossmember, and I've seen plenty of fuel lines go right in front of the driver's door. Seems to be the common places.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The Achilles heel of these wonderful cars. Where do I begin dealing with this problem. On the return line, you can cut the metal lines and use high pressure fuel line hose. The psi in the return line is only 10 psi.....very low. I have done this and have had no problem for a long time. (Use plastic ties to hold the rubber line along the old line.) The major design flaw with the fuel line is that about a foot of each line run between the frame and body (by the firewall). If it leaks there, you have a major problem. Also, you can cut the nipple off a fuel filter and attach it to the end of the rubber hose and reconnect to the fuel line attached to the gas tank. Good luck. This took much time and agony for me. I will end here and leave out coating the other fuel line with JB Weld to creat a new line around the old for later.

Comment

I should add that I have 2 89 T/Cs. One is my long range car, which has no rust at all and the other is the fuel line car which has been relegated to local use only.

Comment

The reason the left side has more rust than the right is because of the water in the curb lane. It hits the bottom of the car and cleans it off.
                      89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

you know thats a simple enough explanation that it actually makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                        X