Project digital hybrid cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project digital hybrid cluster

I did some work on my digital hybrid cluster the last couple of days. Definitely put my dremel to good use, used that for hours and hours. I have a good idea of what the finished product will look like now. I debated a lot over how i wanted to design this but i think this turned out well. There are a few imperfections in its appearance. I still have a lot of work to do, the odometer needs fastened in and a lot of wiring needs moved. Then i need to make some modifications to the dash behind the cluster so it will fit, its about 50% deeper now. Also i need the fuel sender from a donor car, and i'm not looking forward to doing that, it sounds like a pain in the ass. Well here are some pics so far:

Last edited by FatNasty; 11-06-2009, 09:38 AM. Reason: pic url update

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Nice.
    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Would be really cool if you could paint over the speed markings on the stock speedo face so only the digital display was visible. What would be the absolute coolest is if somehow a tachometer could be done to use a short needle around the outside of the digital speedometer, but that would probably be pretty near impossible without having some specially custom built gauge for the job.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nice work mang
        I hope yours isnt a bust like mine
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

looks awsome mang!!! i would have to agree with gadget and say paint the side with the speedo. a $1.00 at wally world for some cheap silver paint will bring some nice results. my only coment besides that would be to TAKE YOUR TIME!!! i went through a lot of cursen' doing mine because i got to excited and rushed it. also make shure to mesure twice and cut once or you might be heading out to the bone yard to find another cluster to hack up again(not fun trust me)
          sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

also reccomend tinting the plastic cover with regular 20% winbdow tint.

prettu cool tho! not a big fan of digital speedos but noneless thats awesome!
            LTD is still here

Comment

yea that will be neat in a grand marquis

Comment

Looks good mang. Are these digital speedo's limited to 85MPH like the T-Bird/Cougar ones?
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yeah they're limited. I want to find a way to hotwire them. The Couger/Tbird ones can be modded to read over 85.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

shoud be interesting when it all done looks kick ass mang

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Sweeeeeeeet
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. I am going to paint the speedo face when i find some paint that matches the stock look well.

Originally posted by gadget73
                        Yeah they're limited. I want to find a way to hotwire them. The Couger/Tbird ones can be modded to read over 85.
                        The digital speedo setup for TC's is very similar to the cougar one.
                        There is a writup on another site on how to modify it. The problem is the component numbers on the circuit board are printed on the side where you cant see them so i will need to get a spare one to take apart for testing.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                        1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                        1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

hey any luck on finding spraypaint ot mach the stock stuff? if so any picks? or just maybe some pics in dash?
                          sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

How is the wiring conversion for that? I'm halfway decent with that stuff but I'm used to the Chrysler stuff. I hear that the Ford wiring is pretty easy, which is good. some of the Chrysler stuff had Body Control Modules and stuff, ugh, it was a nightmare! I put a 1990 turbo motor in my 94 Caravan and never had a tach, speedo, etc. It sucked.

I was considering making a similar dashboard fit into my Marq, something about the same size. I'd love a tach dash of some sort.
                            1988 Mercury Grand Marquis
                            Brakestand machine.

Comment

The Ford digi clusters are all self contained. Only possible input is from the VSS and maybe a fuel flow wire if its got the tripminder functions built in and tach signals. Otherwise its mostly just feeding power from the ignition and light circuits. The only real exception to that is Towncar message center functions. Those actually have resistor wire interfaces with all the lighting for the lamp outage module, and its run through this massive brick-like computer under the dash. The actual speedometer is self contained though.

Comment

Working...
                              X