Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarquisMalarky
    I'd love a tach dash of some sort.
    Some of the Fox Birds had digital tachs, but take it from me, they suck. The reaction is slow and choppy.

I'm with you on the in-dash tach, though. It'd be nice and regularly mounted aftermarket ones just look kind of junky to me (no offense to anyone who has one, I just don't like them). I've thought about doing a Town Car dash conversion and filling it with aftermarket gauges.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

hey! i've put the t-bird digital speedo,tach,and tripminder out of an '87 and it works just fine. it takes only a fraction of a second longer than a anolog needle. you'd have to be sitting there watching it to even notice it. for normal driving conditions it works butifully and looks alot cooler.(trying to get pics to do a write-up on it)
      sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

hmmmmmmmm, how hard would it be to put a TC full dash in a MGM or CV? i wonder

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

very!
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by raser13
            hey any luck on finding spraypaint ot mach the stock stuff? if so any picks? or just maybe some pics in dash?
            no luck finding paint yet, not completely sure i will repaint it unless i find an exact match. i kind of like the look of the digital part with the analog numbers around it. No pics in the dash yet, it will take some dremeling behind the cluster to get it to fit. Too damn cold/windy/snowy lately to do anything, and i dont have a garage. Not sure when i will get around to doing anything else. I still need the fuel sender, which i just dont feel like pulling. After the fuel sender gets put in it shouldn't take much more work

Originally posted by marquisman
            hmmmmmmmm, how hard would it be to put a TC full dash in a MGM or CV? i wonder
            as close as you can get to impossible. The setup around the steering column shroud doesn't work at all, and the TC cluster is tipped in a weird way that wouldn't look good.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
            1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
            1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Well after about a year working on this project it's finally finished!!! It was always sort of a side project, thats why it took so long. I fefinitely invested a lot of time in it though....long nights with the dremel and a EVTM. The first challenge was just designing everything to fit and look descent. A lot of cutting the back of the cluster up. The next challenge was getting everything wired and rewired so it all works correctly with a custom harness. And last was getting the cluster and wiring to fit in the dash. The end result was very very good, i honestly wasn't expecting it to work, but it did the first try. I deleted the oil and temp idiot lights since i have guages now and needed the space. Here are some pics:

The back of the modified cluster:

The enourmous wiring harness so it can be easily installed and removed, that was a confusing step.

Had to remove a large part of the dash due to the additional depth of the cluster:

The dash with the harness installed:

The finished product:

Last edited by FatNasty; 11-06-2009, 09:39 AM. Reason: pic url update

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
              1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

awesome mang!!

how did you get the fuel gauge to work??
                When i was trying to make mine, I was gonna just add more wires to the cluster to make the speedo work, I was too scared to modify the original clusters harness!!! good job on that
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I'm also curious about the fuel gauge. The in-tank sender on a TC is different from electronic to non-electronic dash. Apparently the resistance runs opposite, full ground when the tank is full in a conventional cluster vs full ground at empty in the electronic. Or at least thats what I seem to recall from the evtm.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It was possible to just add more wires to the harness, plus some extras to each pod in the cluster but i wanted to make it so i could unplug the digital cluster and plug in the original anytime i want without switching any wiring in case this one broke, or didn't work at all.

And I got a fuel sender out of an '88 signature series TC. The electronic sender has a little E stamped on it.

Comment

Funny, I was just wondering about the digital speedo in your signature pics. Looks awfully good, especially in the night shots.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

do you have an odometer?
                        sigpic
                        1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Thanks for the comments!

And yes, i do have an odometer. Its just under the speedometer:
                          Last edited by FatNasty; 11-06-2009, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Oh, okay. I'd assumed you would have switched over to a digital odometer. But then, I also hadn't realized the input to the digital speedo was mechanical.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Looks totally awesome mang! Great job!
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Man you did a hell of a job on that. I know there will be many to follow that. If possible can you do a write up on it?
                                The Best
                                Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

Working...
                                X