Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!

Sorry its tech but I need to drive my car to school tomorrow. Anyway, the vic wont start, she's got gas but a weak spark. At first I thought it was the ignition module, so I had ange buy one to replace mine. Well its still orange spark. Here's the wierd part, when I stop cranking it acts like its gonna fire. Ive messed with the timing but cant even get it to run rough. Im gonna see if I can dig up a coil or something but I dunno. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Chris
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Why can't you use the Towncar? Or is someone else using it?
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Id check the battery and the coil voltage...

What's with all the tech in the BS forum lately?
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The engine ticks really bad and its been getting shitty gas milage. I could if I wanted to but I'd have to bolt on one of the vics wheels as the spare is on the towncar. When my tire went flat on the towny I said fuck it Im parkin ya until I can fix all the little shit. So she's in the barn, and the vics been fine until now. Im stumped on why it would want to fire when I turn the key off?? It ran great a half hour earlier today, and I went to leave for work, she fired, died and wouldnt start again.

Comment

Sorry about it being in the BS forum, but its kinda urgent so I figured Id get a little more traffic. The battery is new, and the coil is about 3yrs old. If I have low voltage to the coil what could cause that?

Comment

Bad ballast resistor, or a bad solenoid. Could also be a poor connection somewhere in the mix. Make sure the I terminal has +12v when cranking. You should also be able to chase that wire from the solenoid to a connection point somewhere between the coil side of the ballast resistor and the + terminal on the coil. Check that splice if the wire is getting proper power while cranking. Try a jumper wire from the battery + to the + on the coil just to bypass the ignition switch and all the rest of the mess to see if it fires. Don't leave it like that to drive around on or you'll fry the coil tho.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

and I'm gonna go ahead and move this where it belongs now....
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

like gadget said make sure theres power there with the key on.....the ballast wire might have shit the bed

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

well its runnin now. Dunno wtf is up with it. I went through and checked all my wires, had 12v to coil, ignition module and such. It runs with the new ignition module and old one as well. Jiggled the wires around while it was running and nothing. Beats the shit out of me. Kinda dont want to drive it as Im afraid of it dying on me while I drive. Other than my voltage regulator having shitty connectors everything else seemed Ok. Still cant figure out why it would start to fire when I shut the car off. I need a MSD6A and be done with it. Oh well. If you guys know of anything else Id appreciate it thanks.

Comment

Could be the ignition switch. I've seen ones on boats do exactly that when the switch goes. Do you have 12v at the coil while the engine is being cranked with the key? Usually thats the problem, the contacts fry on the crank circuit and you lose ignition voltage while cranking.

Comment

That or the magnetic pickup were the only two things I could think of that would cause that problem. The ignition switch scares me tho, cause I think thats caused a few panther fires in the past.

Comment

Yessir, thats the fire maker. Not hard to replace honestly. If you have turbo sockets or something else designed for removing rounded off bolts its a couple minute job.

Comment

Working...
                        X